how "off road ready" is my new stock 2013 Raptor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
coming from a Chevy, i only know THEIR rediness. ive never had a Raptor or ven a Ford. so how off road ready is my Raptor? can i take it straight to a trail? how much can i push it? are the stock tires good? what exactly is the "off road mode" button and whats the difference between that and 4wd??? im off today and would love to take my baby out for her initial dirt run in Gorman or somewhere else local to Los Angeles

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, read the post Blue linked above. It is a great place to start. Congrats on your truck and it is very trail ready off the lot. Almost all my mods have focused on the driver more than the truck. Things like lighting that help me see to drive but don't directly help the truck do it's job. Unless you try to beat the infamous 90 foot jump guy the Raptor will do just fine on trails stock. As soon as you get back from the trails the rest of us here can help you spend your money on mods.

Off Road mode changes shift behavior, abs settings and more. Not everyone loves it but, worth trying out. Detailed explanation is in Blue's post.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Without engaging off road mode of some sort, anti-lock brakes WILL screw you!!!!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first off-road experience in my 2011 Raptor was to take it over Cinnamon Pass in the Colorado Rockies. On the way up we encountered a motorcyclist who had cracked his engine case on a rock, ruined his clutch, and dumped his motor oil on the trail. At 12,400 feet in elevation in the middle of the biggest mountain range on the continent, he was well and truly stranded. We loaded him and his Honda XL650 up, took them over the top of the pass (12,600 feet) and down into Silverton. This was with no mods except the addition of an array of lights and an Airaid CAI.

Your Raptor was delivered ready. Drive it.

Attachments

• Honda Recovery 3.jpg
    Honda Recovery 3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This biggest benefit of offroad mode is that it allows you got lock the rear locker up to 100mph. Otherwise it disengages at 30mph. It also changes the shift points and makes turns down the sensitivity of the abs.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This biggest benefit of offroad mode is that it allows you got lock the rear locker up to 100mph. Otherwise it disengages at 30mph. It also changes the shift points and makes turns down the sensitivity of the abs.

Actually, it unlocks at 14 without off road mode... :)

I hope the OP takes the time to read the FAQ I posted, and doesn't just way each answer spoon fed. Lots to learn about these trucks!