6.2 What do your guys think about a MUFFLER ONLY replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there really a need to replace the tubing from the cat back? Can I realize the same modest bump in performance just by ditching the factory muffler? I am okay with the factory exit...just may throw on some tips. And a muffler is only a little over $100 compared to a whole kit somewhere in the neighborhood of 700+.

Thoughts?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Quite a few people have done this. Cheap and easy. Your primary gain will be the difference in sound. I'd probably remove the resonator while you're at it.

IronRakMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am considering doing this as I haven't seen enough evidence to prove that spending $1k on an exhaust is "worth it" to me.

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced stock with flowmaster 50 no resonator. Sounds nice increase in performance only in my head since it sounds louder.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I've always thought of Borla as having one of the best sounding mufflers, but I've only ever run Flowmaster (40) and Magaflow--with Magnaflow being my favorite for the somewhat tamer sound. Thinking I'll probably go that route again here.

The reason I ask the Q though is because with everything else I've owned I've always wanted the exhaust run differently than OEM config...usually if not straight duals then with a single in/dual out muffler--but always exiting out the back, splitting around the spare. The OEM Raptor setup has grown on me however. I just wasn't sure if there was anything undesirable from a performance standpoint in the stock setup that might make we wanna dump it for a complete rework. So, I'm figuring I'll just spend the $100 + maybe $50 labor to have the local shop burn in a Magnaflow.

6point2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a borla xr1 with stock pipes and resonator delete. Sounds really good. It does have a little drone but it's a good drone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 108

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am considering doing this as I haven't seen enough evidence to prove that spending $1k on an exhaust is "worth it" to me.

Factory pipes are just fine! I have a Borla 40349 muffler and Corsa resonator delete pipe. Have about $350 invested with installation and it sounds great with absolutely no drone.