6.2 What is the cylinder between the muffler and CAT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allmarine

Reaction score
Hi

What is the cylinder between the muffler and the CAT. It has a small hole at the bottom (drain). Is it important or can it be removed? Does it make any difference to the performance of the truck?

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you may be referring to the resonator. Removal will not produce any performance gains however if removed it will make your truck sound like a herd of circus midgets farting in a steel trashcan.

OP
OP
Allmarine

Allmarine

Reaction score
I believe you may be referring to the resonator. Removal will not produce any performance gains however if removed it will make your truck sound like a herd of circus midgets farting in a steel trashcan.

So if you install a CAT back system, this is obsolete because the CAT back system connects just after the CAT or just after resonator.

D

Deleted member 12951

You will be fine to remove the resonator on a GEN1 and it will sound better. I've seen folks who actually leave the resonator and then just do a downpipe from it and remove the muffler. Some even remove the resonator and muffler and do a straight pipe in a lighting style exit.

I personally have a MBRP turndown exhaust WITHOUT the resonator but recently got the MBRP resonator and trying it out right now. Think I might go back to no resonator, like the sound better.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

So if you install a CAT back system, this is obsolete because the CAT back system connects just after the CAT or just after resonator.

Some cat-backs will include a replacement resonator in their kit and others cat-backs delete the resonator. What cat-back are you looking at? I can help you get a great deal if you haven't purchased one already.

OP
OP
Allmarine

Allmarine

Reaction score
You will be fine to remove the resonator on a GEN1 and it will sound better. I've seen folks who actually leave the resonator and then just do a downpipe from it and remove the muffler. Some even remove the resonator and muffler and do a straight pipe in a lighting style exit.

I personally have a MBRP turndown exhaust WITHOUT the resonator but recently got the MBRP resonator and trying it out right now. Think I might go back to no resonator, like the sound better.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Some cat-backs will include a replacement resonator in their kit and others cat-backs delete the resonator. What cat-back are you looking at? I can help you get a great deal if you haven't purchased one already.

Thanks for your reply,
These trucks are rare in Australia, so its difficult to get reliable information on any modifications.
I fitted the Roush Stage 2 super charger kit, then 69mm pulley and JDM tune, the exhaust is a JBA 3” in to the muffler and twin 2 1/2” outlets that come straight out the back. When we got the exhaust kit it didnt have any instructions and the only pipe left over was a bent tappered pipe that didnt seem to fit anywhere, i cut the exhaust pipe half way between the resonator and the original muffler to fit the new system, and it all seemed to work. I am just fidling with the tips now and thought maybe i need to remove the resonator.
Will i still hear the supercharger if the resonator is removed.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks for your reply,

These trucks are rare in Australia, so its difficult to get reliable information on any modifications.

I fitted the Roush Stage 2 super charger kit, then 69mm pulley and JDM tune, the exhaust is a JBA 3” in to the muffler and twin 2 1/2” outlets that come straight out the back. When we got the exhaust kit it didnt have any instructions and the only pipe left over was a bent tappered pipe that didnt seem to fit anywhere, i cut the exhaust pipe half way between the resonator and the original muffler to fit the new system, and it all seemed to work. I am just fidling with the tips now and thought maybe i need to remove the resonator.

Will i still hear the supercharger if the resonator is removed.

Thanks

I assume you have this one?
It looks like it retains the stock resonator. You could remove it and install a straight pipe instead and yes you will still hear the supercharger.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_exhaustV.asp?id=40-2527

I would review the instructions and compare what you did. It shows what to do with the bent tapered pipe.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/assets/instruction_sheets/40-2527.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Allmarine

Allmarine

Reaction score
I assume you have this one?
It looks like it retains the stock resonator. You could remove it and install a straight pipe instead and yes you will still hear the supercharger.

JBA Performance Exhaust Part #:40-2527 JBA Exhaust System

I would review the instructions and compare what you did. It shows what to do with the bent tapered pipe.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/assets/instruction_sheets/40-2527.pdf

Hi
The one i have is 40-2538 which i couldn't find any reference to on the internet or the JBA website.
The issue i had with the bent pipe (dog leg we would say her in OZ) is that its tapered and one end is 3" the other is 2 1/2" so it just doesnt seem to fit anywhere.
I thought it may be the connection if i had long tube headers (which i do not).
Regards