Upfitter Switch Cutout Control - 1 Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TED

Reaction score
What type of plug in was pictured in the post. I have the three recommended parts but there in no plug in mentioned. All three parts need some type of mount or plug in, correct?

Success! All is working as you said it would. I do have a question though. When the truck turns off, the relay/timer closes the gate. And when I turn the truck back on the relay/timer again tries to close the gate for 3 seconds and then shuts off like it's supposed to do.

Here is the question, like holding a power window switch down after the window closes, will this short time of power and the gate already being closed cause any damage to the gate motor over time?

OP
OP
C

chadasm

Reaction score
Ted, are you flipping the switch to the off position after you turn the truck off? If the switch is left on the whole time, it shouldn't try to close it again.

I can't test anything on mine to see if it has the same behavior, but I will take a look at the logic. I removed this set up on mine, I am working on controlling based on RPMs.

TED

Reaction score
Hey again, Based on the wiring diagram you provided, assume the truck is off, the upfitter switch is off, when power from the radio circuit energizes when turning the key on, it would naturally energize the timer relay....for 2-3 seconds. Correct? I don't care unless those short 2 second "on" power bursts can damage the cut-out over time. I don't think it would but had to ask.
thx, ted

OP
OP
C

chadasm

Reaction score
That is correct. What you could do in that case is connect the +12 to a constant on source, one that is not controlled by the ignition. I don't see this being that much of a drain on the battery to be energized with the truck off. I imagine the draw from the computers would be much greater.

I don't know the answer to your question about damaging the motor.

TED

Reaction score
ya that is a possible solution, thx. And the switch is much more fun than the stock switch with the cut out! cant wait to show it off to the ford dealer who said it cant be done! thx

OP
OP
C

chadasm

Reaction score
X2

Id ya for a PnP, even if its 1-off

I just started a new job and don't really have the time to make these. I wouldn't have any heartache if someone else wants to take the design and make them (or alter anything).

I might be able to put some of these together in a few months. I'll check back then for interest.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha i just came across this thread after i ordered my stuff... Although I'm doing it a bit different. Going off uplifter 4, I'll be using one relay and two mini timer relays. I'll posts pics when i finish

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright i got it done. Set the timers at 4 seconds
Need two 87a relays and two timers
4f077429ca3d0350ddf464401538d31d.jpg
6f8267a552291d69ea1a6610f51b4aa7.jpg
b1b8d7adaa9f2e998577b9edae373eca.jpg
Green wire goes to switch. Black ground and red battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aschiller98

Reaction score
Alright i got it done. Set the timers at 4 seconds
Need two 87a relays and two timers
4f077429ca3d0350ddf464401538d31d.jpg
6f8267a552291d69ea1a6610f51b4aa7.jpg
b1b8d7adaa9f2e998577b9edae373eca.jpg
Green wire goes to switch. Black ground and red battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@ogbobber Im really interested in trying to make one of these but have 0 experience with wiring. Which exhaust cutout did you use and how has it been working so far?