Upfitter Switch Cutout Control - 1 Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadasm

Reaction score
There are a few ways to control an e exhaust cutout with the Raptor's upfitter switches. What I went with was not the cheapest option, but for me it was one of the easiest. If you know microelectronics or programming (Arduino or Raspberry Pi for example) you can do it for quite a bit less. I didn't care for either subject that much in college, so I didn't want to relearn it for this project.

I have Doug’s cutout, so the wiring might be slightly different for another brand. I have not looked into exactly how the others are wired. I used one power relay and two interval-on relays from Schneider Electric:
Power Relay: 781XAXC-12D
Interval-on Relays: TDRSOXP-12V

So far it works great. The upfitter switches are factory wired to the ignition, so they are off when the truck is off. I wired the 12V power to the radio delay signal so the relays still have power right after I turn the truck off until the door is opened. If I have the cutout open and turn off the truck, the cutout closes automatically. If the upfitter switch is on when the truck turns on, the cutout opens up as soon as the truck starts up.

The interval relays are the most expensive piece at about $40 a pop. All in all it cost me just under $100. I ordered everything from zorotools on eBay Take a look at the wiring diagram and pic of the relays. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Relay Diagram.jpg
    Relay Diagram.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,337
  • IMG_1969b.jpg
    IMG_1969b.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 437

ATC18

Reaction score
I have a QTP cutout and did my wiring to the upfitter as described here and it works great. Got the same parts off ebay since my local shop didn't have them. Great wiring diagram and explanation, thanks!

And the cutout sounds rowdy

shthpnz

Reaction score
I have been thinking some time to come up with a solution for using one of the Aux buttons for the up and down movement of my Cut Out.

it emerged that there is no simple solution. I bought some timers and relays in Hongkong, but could not sketch a working wiring diagram.
So I walked the Arduino road, but the learning curve of the programming was too steep for me.
Then I bought some electronic window opening and closing units, knowing it has Ampere overload safety switches built in. I would use that overload safety switch to have the Cut Out stop at either end, even if the current is still pushing. I have not experimented with that solution though.

And then I saw this thread, even accompanied with a wiring diagram.
So today I went the 'timer' way and soldered and installed the 'Automatic Cut Out Controller'. Thanks Chadasm for the layout.
I modified that wiring diagram to accommodate the weird behaviour of the two Omron 10sec timers, and it works now.

FYI: I own a 2010 6.2 Raptor and its radio delay fuse is #41.

The Cut Out behaves as explained by Chadasm. So in whatever position Aux 1 is in, when you stop the truck the Cut Out closes. Perfect.

From whispering to roaring with just the flip of a switch!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2014-08-09 om 19.03.37.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2014-08-09 om 19.03.37.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 2014-08-09 15.40.03.jpg
    2014-08-09 15.40.03.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:

TED

Reaction score
There are a few ways to control an e exhaust cutout with the Raptor's upfitter switches. What I went with was not the cheapest option, but for me it was one of the easiest. If you know microelectronics or programming (Arduino or Raspberry Pi for example) you can do it for quite a bit less. I didn't care for either subject that much in college, so I didn't want to relearn it for this project.

I have Doug’s cutout, so the wiring might be slightly different for another brand. I have not looked into exactly how the others are wired. I used one power relay and two interval-on relays from Schneider Electric:
Power Relay: 781XAXC-12D
Interval-on Relays: TDRSOXP-12V

So far it works great. The upfitter switches are factory wired to the ignition, so they are off when the truck is off. I wired the 12V power to the radio delay signal so the relays still have power right after I turn the truck off until the door is opened. If I have the cutout open and turn off the truck, the cutout closes automatically. If the upfitter switch is on when the truck turns on, the cutout opens up as soon as the truck starts up.

The interval relays are the most expensive piece at about $40 a pop. All in all it cost me just under $100. I ordered everything from zorotools on eBay Take a look at the wiring diagram and pic of the relays. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, I ordered the relays for my Dougs cut out per your post.
Does the diagram indicate only one 12v power supply or did oyu use 2 as the later post mentioned. My plan is to use the factory power to the upfitter switch. Im not an electrical diagram pro but am pretty handy with wiring.
So, are all the 12v powers indicated the same source?
thank you, ted

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chadasm

Reaction score
Both of us used two sources. As in the text of Chadasm. Success!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Exactly. One 12v source is through the aux switch. The other source, which I don't have labeled, but shthpnz does, is the second source that is tied to the radio. All of the +12v that I labeled without any additional information are all from the same source.

Thank you shthpnz for adding an alternative.

TED

Reaction score
thx for the heads up. As soon as the parts arrive, I'm all over it. How do you connect to the radio power in the fuse box?

TED

Reaction score
I have a QTP cutout and did my wiring to the upfitter as described here and it works great. Got the same parts off ebay since my local shop didn't have them. Great wiring diagram and explanation, thanks!

And the cutout sounds rowdy

What type of plug in was pictured in the post. I have the three recommended parts but there in no plug in mentioned. All three parts need some type of mount or plug in, correct?

TED

Reaction score
need a plug in?

Exactly. One 12v source is through the aux switch. The other source, which I don't have labeled, but shthpnz does, is the second source that is tied to the radio. All of the +12v that I labeled without any additional information are all from the same source.

Thank you shthpnz for adding an alternative.

What type of plug in was pictured in the post. I have the three recommended parts but there in no plug in mentioned. All three parts need some type of mount or plug in, correct?