Turndown recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jblakesmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have Black Widow Race Venom in turn down, no resonator configuration. Cold starts are loud, which I'm fine with since idle sounds great. Interstate speeds above 70 mph is fine as well, but gets loudest (drone) around 1800-1900 rpms, which is cruising in the 65 mph range when traveling roads with 55 mph speed limit. Also got to find some sources of minor vibration in the cab during that rpm range when going through the gears. Anyone else experience this with the setup I have? If so, solutions? Considering trying a different muffler or cat-back with turn down. I really like the clean look of no side or rear tailpipes. I've read that MBRP turndown has more drone? There is also Borla, Magnapack, Flowmaster muffler options as well. Corsa seems popular, but doesn't sell just the muffler or a turndown config. Any others I may have missed? Ones that you recommend or not recommend? Just seeing what others have done and if I want to try something different. Also got to watch more of Youtube. Thanks for your time and recommendations!

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i turned down my factory exhaust, it gets the desired look for free. while increasing resonance with the exhaust bouncing off the ground and truck.

i do get a minor hint of drone in random areas around town, its more of a deep smooth rpm tone. no drone at any speed highway or long roadway related.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Corsa is the best when it comes to long term relationship with your truck. I happened to have stailess works on my first truck. Sounded great but driving around town for an hour and 65-70mph on highway constant drone was giving me a headache. When it comes to Corsa.... ZERO drone at any rpms. If you can score a used Corsa muffler on the forum just have an exhaust shop fabricate the rest its only metal work after all. Good luck
BTW. I had it on my Viper with zero issues

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
its a shame to do it but you could always go Corsa then just cut the pipe after the axle. maybe then weld the corsa tips to that pipe if you wanted. It will get you the look and NO drone as well as having a great sounding exhaust.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have the MBRP turndown without the resonator. I am getting a resonator to add to it to see how it makes it sound. Yeah I get drone on the highway at the same speed with that same RPM range but to be honest, I don't drive 55-65mph regardless if the speed limit is 55-60mph, can't it drives me nuts, its an emotional thing. lol
Plus where I live the highways are pretty much open.

Get a great radar detector (****** or Valentine), turn up the radio and drive what you want to get out of that range.

OP
OP
jblakesmith

jblakesmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corsa is the best when it comes to long term relationship with your truck. I happened to have stailess works on my first truck. Sounded great but driving around town for an hour and 65-70mph on highway constant drone was giving me a headache. When it comes to Corsa.... ZERO drone at any rpms. If you can score a used Corsa muffler on the forum just have an exhaust shop fabricate the rest its only metal work after all. Good luck
BTW. I had it on my Viper with zero issues

Sounds like I need to listen carefully to some youtube vids of Corsa. I assume you deleted res and went with xtreme version? If I bought brand new, I would most likely install the way it was engineered...side tailpipes behind rear tire. Thanks for the feedback.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

i turned down my factory exhaust, it gets the desired look for free. while increasing resonance with the exhaust bouncing off the ground and truck.

i do get a minor hint of drone in random areas around town, its more of a deep smooth rpm tone. no drone at any speed highway or long roadway related.

Thanks for the input. Was the increase in sound level (dB) noticeable during idle, cold start, cruising?

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

its a shame to do it but you could always go Corsa then just cut the pipe after the axle. maybe then weld the corsa tips to that pipe if you wanted. It will get you the look and NO drone as well as having a great sounding exhaust.

Yeah, I agree...if I went Corsa I would keep it the way it was engineered...out the side. Time to look carefully at youtube vids of Corsa on Raptor. I assume you recommend going with xtreme and res delete? I do like the black tip option. Thanks again.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to listen carefully to some youtube vids of Corsa. I assume you deleted res and went with xtreme version? If I bought brand new, I would most likely install the way it was engineered...side tailpipes behind rear tire. Thanks for the feedback.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Thanks for the input. Was the increase in sound level (dB) noticeable during idle, cold start, cruising?

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Yeah, I agree...if I went Corsa I would keep it the way it was engineered...out the side. Time to look carefully at youtube vids of Corsa on Raptor. I assume you recommend going with xtreme and res delete? I do like the black tip option. Thanks again.

Yes I recommend the Xtreme. Sounds great and can get loud while it still is mild during cruising. The Black tips do look great. We have special pricing on Corsa right now too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jblakesmith

jblakesmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the MBRP turndown without the resonator. I am getting a resonator to add to it to see how it makes it sound. Yeah I get drone on the highway at the same speed with that same RPM range but to be honest, I don't drive 55-65mph regardless if the speed limit is 55-60mph, can't it drives me nuts, its an emotional thing. lol
Plus where I live the highways are pretty much open.

Get a great radar detector (****** or Valentine), turn up the radio and drive what you want to get out of that range.

Ha! Thanks for the feedback. Please let me know how the res works out. Since our drone range is the same while using a different muffler, maybe the drone is primarily from our config (turndown)? If so, I wonder if running the pipe over the axle and out the side would eliminate drone in our cases? Maybe someone can chime in using the same mufflers but different config.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Yes I recommend the Xtreme. Sounds great and can get loud while it still is mild during cruising. The Black tips do look great. We have special pricing on Corsa right now too!!

Thanks Nick. Please do give me your best price on Corsa xtreme with res delete and black tips. This way I can do it myself without the need of a muffler shop as well. Thanks again. I'll try to watch some vids of this setup soon to try to justify going this route.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ha! Thanks for the feedback. Please let me know how the res works out. Since our drone range is the same while using a different muffler, maybe the drone is primarily from our config (turndown)? If so, I wonder if running the pipe over the axle and out the side would eliminate drone in our cases? Maybe someone can chime in using the same mufflers but different config.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Thanks Nick. Please do give me your best price on Corsa xtreme with res delete and black tips. This way I can do it myself without the need of a muffler shop as well. Thanks again. I'll try to watch some vids of this setup soon to try to justify going this route.

As far as getting the exhaust exit out from under the truck it will help with drone from my experience. I had a dumped magnapack and it droned a bit. Then I did a lightning style exit and it didn’t drone as bad.

As soon as I get in front of a computer I’ll send you over a quote!

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score

it was noticeable 100% everywhere. sounds like a different exhaust almost completely.