Switching out exhuast...MRPB, Black Widow or Dirty Deeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the MBRP turn down with no resonator, stock y-pipe, the drone drives me nuts. I didnt really think of it until I was out smashing thru the forest last week. If you do go the MBRP route, Id suggest the resonator model.

I may add a resonator, or do my own side exhaust with the factory pipe off the Y-pipe. Anything to get the sound out from under the bed

I have the same. the drone really bothered me at first but now I don't even notice it. but I am slowly going deaf, so maybe that's a contributing factor

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the MBRP turn down with no resonator, stock y-pipe, the drone drives me nuts. I didnt really think of it until I was out smashing thru the forest last week. If you do go the MBRP route, Id suggest the resonator model.

I may add a resonator, or do my own side exhaust with the factory pipe off the Y-pipe. Anything to get the sound out from under the bed

A few weeks ago I had that same exact set up. Ended up putting back the stock exhaust. The drone was horrible and it sucked especially since I drive 200 miles a day.

The stock exhaust with no resonator sounds good enough for me.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had that same exact set up. Ended up putting back the stock exhaust. The drone was horrible and it sucked especially since I drive 200 miles a day.

The stock exhaust with no resonator sounds good enough for me.

Since the Raptor isn't my daily I don't realize how bad it is until I drive it for a bit. Love the way it sounds at WOT, but at certain RPMs and loads the sound feels like its melting my brain haha. I've had all sorts of loud cars and this is by far the 'droneiest.' I plan on either selling it or chopping it all up and making a side exhaust set up to maybe get the sound out of the cab.

A_Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a mbrp turn down before the axle with the resonator as of now but, plan on ditching the mbrp muffler for a black widow race venom, so I will be able to compare them by next week. But truthfully the mbrp is pretty nice, I just get bored and want to change it up. Right now I am looking for something a little nastier, and I am hoping the race venom will fit the bill without being horrible at highway speeds. For now the mbrp has a nice deep idle, and not to loud start up, with about a mud tire level of drone at highway speed. Also does anybody have any recommendations as to where I should mount the muffler, closer to the down turn like the above setup or more towards the middle. I am curious what effect it might have on sound.

Hay @farman, did you install that race venom? If so, which did you go with(I think there's a 250 and 300 series if my memory is correct) and how did it sound?

Thanks!

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hay @farman, did you install that race venom? If so, which did you go with(I think there's a 250 and 300 series if my memory is correct) and how did it sound?

Thanks!

Hey, I did get it installed and love it. I mounted it up almost exactly like the mbrp was. It is a bit louder and has more of a snarl at WOT then the mbrp. But surprisingly to me it is also quieter and has no drone at highway speeds and putting around town. Also it's called just the race venom, the other ones are called the venom 250 and 300. The race venom is the more aggressive muffler.

Last edited:

A_Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I did get it installed and love it. I mounted it up almost exactly like the mbrp was. It is a bit louder and has more of a snarl at WOT then the mbrp. But surprisingly to me it is also quieter and has no drone at highway speeds and putting around town. Also it's called just the race venom, the other ones are called the venom 250 and 300. The race venom is the more aggressive muffler.

That's great to hear. I'm still trying to figure out which one I'll go with when I have the time to get one installed.

Thanks for the reply.

IronRakMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Widow FTW.

I have the Race Venom on my personal truck, dumped, resi deleted, stock headers, and have not stopped getting compliments on how it sounds.

Hit me up for a Black Widow muffler, you wont regret it.

-Joseph Haynes

I would like to do this to my truck as well, do you need to have the ability to bend tube for this set-up? I'm trying to save cost on labor by having a buddy weld this up, but if we have to bend tube I'm going to need to find a shop.

Appreciate any how-to's you can provide.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I would like to do this to my truck as well, do you need to have the ability to bend tube for this set-up? I'm trying to save cost on labor by having a buddy weld this up, but if we have to bend tube I'm going to need to find a shop.

Appreciate any how-to's you can provide.

Nope not necessary, as it's all a straight run.

Unless you are deleting the resonator, then you will need a section of 3" pipe and have both ends flared to fit over the stock piping to weld on. To do this, you can cut out the resonator on both sides and then measure the distance between them cut to cut (not overlap). Take that measurement to a muffler shop and have them add 2" to each side to flare out. Should cost $10-20 for them to make you a pipe.

The turn down tip can just be purchased pre made. I believe I have some in stock as well.

Other than that, just have to weld on some hangers. Usually can bend them with your hands, or if not, put them in a vise and bend to what you need to connect to stock mounting locations. I recommend welding the hangers onto the body of the muffler, not the piping, no strength there.

IronRakMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope not necessary, as it's all a straight run.

Unless you are deleting the resonator, then you will need a section of 3" pipe and have both ends flared to fit over the stock piping to weld on. To do this, you can cut out the resonator on both sides and then measure the distance between them cut to cut (not overlap). Take that measurement to a muffler shop and have them add 2" to each side to flare out. Should cost $10-20 for them to make you a pipe.

The turn down tip can just be purchased pre made. I believe I have some in stock as well.

Other than that, just have to weld on some hangers. Usually can bend them with your hands, or if not, put them in a vise and bend to what you need to connect to stock mounting locations. I recommend welding the hangers onto the body of the muffler, not the piping, no strength there.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a particular reason (sound/performance/aesthetics) for doing the dump vs. keeping the stock exit?

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a particular reason (sound/performance/aesthetics) for doing the dump vs. keeping the stock exit?

Ground clearance would probably be the #1 reason for most doing a dump.

You will definitely hear more in cab with a dump. personal preference there if you like that or not.

You "might" gain a hp or two since your dropping some length and a couple bends, but any gains over a stock exit will not be felt.

If your looking to keep the stock tail pipe section, then will just also need a Y-Pipe.