SW Header/Exhaust install guides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I've spent the last week or two improving the sound on the interior of my truck. Now I've bit the bullet and decided to do the same on the exterior, with a pinch of extra Powa for good measure! I ordered the full SW LT headers, lightning exhaust, 5star tune, Volant power core intake package from CLKelly at Synthetic motor sports. (So far he has been excellent to work with! Good price and great service! Would definitely recommend.)

Anyway, I kind of think I'd like to tackle the install of everything myself. Save myself some money and boost that sense of accomplishment I get from personalizing my truck. :challenge:

I took a look at SW's install guide and was less than impressed. Simple enough to follow (as long as you know what they're talking about, which I was about 50/50 on), but would more than three pictures have killed them?

I don't have a ton of experience working on cars and engines, but I did grow up and still work on a farm, so I'm not completely mechanically inept. Far from it, actually. I just tend to benefit more from visual examples and videos than text descriptions.

That being said, does anyone have any links to more detailed install guides and/or videos of the headers/exhaust being installed on a Raptor? That would be most helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I feel the exhaust would be pretty self explanatory once you get everything and get under the truck to start it. Just taking the stock exhaust off is extremely simple (pita getting it out though if you don't jack the ass end up high enough). I have not seen in detail the setup you bought but for the most part setups like those are designed to be bolted on and either welded (recommended) or clamped together.

OP
OP
Harblar

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I didn't figure it would be anything overly complicated. Was just wondering if anyone knew of a good walk through or had some picture, especially some more detailed ones of the nuts and bolts to be removed around the engine. Having to unbolt and jack the engine up is about the only thing that's got me a little worried at the moment. A few more shots of the install process beyond the Single One included in the SW instruction sheet would be helpful! :Big Laugh:

Phat_J

Reaction score
I don't have any help for you, but I'm very interested in how it all goes for you. Everything you ordered is almost exactly the setup I have been putting together in my head. Good luck with the install, and be sure to take pics for the rest of us.

Stainless Works

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on our products, please post comments and videos when the install is complete!

On the radar for SW in 2013 is improving the instructions for a better customer experience. Our goal is to add pictures and improve the overall layout to make things a bit easier. The Raptor is a major priority since there are multiple steps in removing the factory exhaust and then a few little tips and tricks to install the Stainless Works version.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at LTs for the truck but heard that they can be a PITA to install...also heard some folks had some issues with O2 sensors...

The exhaust install was straight forward and went well...Magnaflow...

I think I was quoted 6-8 labor hours for LT install...

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the plug Jake, it was my pleasure working with you! I look forward to seeing anything you get on the install. Maybe invite a buddy or two over for the install and get pictures and so forth and then create an install thread to help members in the future?

Long tube headers can be tricky, mainly due to their size more than anything, at least on vehicles I have installed them on in the past (NO RAPTORS). That being said, the issues with O2 sensors could have been from installing the headers and exhaust without tuning. When you add headers to the mix you really do need a custom tune to get the most out of them and have everything work properly. I would not recommend installing headers without the tuning.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes custom tune is very important. u can lean out ur motor very easily with LT's and no tune.

just to add here. i was quoted 8-10 hours from a shop that has installed headers on raptors before. they said u need take the motor off the mounts and move it up and back a bit to get clearance. ive installed LT headers myself before but never on a raptor and these look like they would absolutely be a PITA.