ROUSH Cat Back - Who has it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperMarioSVT

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's tax return season, and my rappy (2014 SuperCrew) needs a nice cat back system.

I really like the sound, and the price of the Roush. Though I hear it has terrible drone, while others say it has no drone. Which is it?

It's kind of hard to believe that a company as big as Roush, and whose vehicles are sold through Ford dealerships would sell a product that drones..

I have a 15 mile one way commute everyday (7.5 miles city, 7.5 miles expressway) so I really don't want to waste my money on an exhaust that is going to rattle my brain.. I wan't something deep and throaty, but not annoying.

Soo, who has/had the Roush Cat Back system?

- What do you like about it?

- Is your truck a daily driver?

- Does it annoy you at times?

- Does it drone?

Thanks, Mario.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it counts for anything...I can hear the horrible drone while one is driving next to me on the freeway. There are a lot of Roushes around here and quite a few with the exhaust system.

scotty9697

Reaction score
In the same boat.

I'm in the same boat. Looking at the roush or the Borla but unsure of the drone. Let me know if you get any info other than the forum on this subject.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, along with what I've heard and read, drone comes into play when you take out the resonator. When I first bought my truck, I simply swapped my stock muffler for a Magnaflow. It added some growl and a little volume and definitely no drone. It was too tame for me so I took out the resonator. When I did that, I loved the increased volume but have to admit that there is some drone. Not terrible by any means, but some. I would definitely choose to run without a resonator, but if your sensitive to that and want to play it safe, keep your resonator in.

I have heard good things about Corsa and Volant systems not having drone even without the resonator. Some systems may be better than others, but for the most part...more volume=more drone. I say find the system you like by your preference of the tone. If you want it tamer and drone free, leave the resonator in. If you want more volume, take that resonator out. That's my 2 cents. Hope that helps some...

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have got it and love it i came from magnaflow amd i think the drone is less. The exhaust has a real deep tone its awesome! And if its to loud you can weld in a resonator.

DesertEagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Roush Catback on my 5.0 FX4 before I bought my Raptor. Yes - it is deep and sounds great from outside of the truck, but inside the truck the DRONE is HORRIBLE! Especially when I was cruising around 65-70 mph. If your truck is a daily driver be weary! If you want to talk on your phone through the bluetooth system, good luck!

For this reason, I went with the Corsa Xtreme for my Raptor. Yes - it's expensive but it does NOT drone. It's quiet when you want it to be and will scream when you want it to. I believe it's the perfect balance for a Daily Driver. Heard great things about the Borla system as well.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it installed sans resonator and the drone was loud enough to affect the audio while I was on a cell call. It's not a deal breaker for the wife and I but yes, it's not entirely drone free at 65+. Probably more due to the resonator delete. It's good for putting small children instantly to sleep.

More pronounced while cruising at highway speeds. But I like people to hear me droning/coming. Especially small defenseless creatures like mini pins and Pomeranians, they run away shitstained when I roll by.

"Safety first", lol.

Last edited:

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have it on my truck and the drone isn't that bad as people are saying. Being that my truck is a 2010 I don't have the resonator like the newer models and I was worried that I was going to have a bad drone and I haven't experienced any problems. As far as using Bluetooth at speeds greater than 60mph I've never had any issues. Cold starts are definitely poppy in cold weather but once the truck warms up it quiets down at idle. I have a lot of raptors in my city and pulling up to another one in traffic is a daily occurrence and most of them are stock as far as exhaust and you can definitely tell who's running the aftermarket pipes no question with that. If you want that deep sporty exhaust note I would go with the Roush. I am a mustang/Shelby guy so I'm used to louder vehicles and the Roush won't disappoint in that department I can guarantee. Another thing is do you have a preference in where your tips are located? You will have two shotgun style pipes exiting on the right side of the rear bumper. Some people don't dig it and some do and at first when I saw pictures on the web I didn't like it, but once I installed them I actually thought it was quite nice. Corsa you can't go wrong with either and had them on multiple vettes and my experience with their exhaust systems has always been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aaron is spot on. I honestly think the Roush is a great system. I have used my Bluetooth before and no one ever says they cannot hear me.

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Roush exhaust and Roush supercharger and the drone isn't bad at all... And Roush does make a stock exit now as well as the double barrel out the back to one side .. It is loud though but does settle down once cruising .