Removing old exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Borla exhaust from the muffler back and was wondering what is the best way to remove the old exhaust in one piece to save it.

Ricky B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jacked up the rear end from under the trailer hitch to have more room between axle and bottom of truck and slid it out the back, by myself. Unbolt the hanger brackets from the frame and remove the old exhaust from the brackets when it's on the ground. It's much easier than trying to slide it out of the rubber grommets while the brackets are attached to the frame. Just be careful of the brake lines on the axle when removing the old exhaust.

D

Deleted member 12951

Is it a catback exhaust? If it is, I did it without jacking up the truck. There are two bolt at the catback and once that is off, you can remove the whole thing. Or take it apart. There is a clamp in front and past the muffler. I stored my factory exhaust in those three pieces (Resonator pipe, Muffler, tail pipe assembly). Guess you could put it back together and save it as one piece if you choose.

nowthen

Reaction score
I tried to get mine in to pieces.... and then when I couldn't, jacked up the rear end and tried to wrestle the whole damn thing out by myself. After about 10 mins I got bored and chopped it in to little pieces with the sawzall...

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Drop the spare. When I did mine I jacked up the truck (screw) but at havoc we took 07alloys off in a couple min without jacking it up (scab). Not sure if the cab size makes a dif but either way it easy.

mike.s

Reaction score
I tried to get mine in to pieces.... and then when I couldn't, jacked up the rear end and tried to wrestle the whole damn thing out by myself. After about 10 mins I got bored and chopped it in to little pieces with the sawzall...

That's what I did. In the middle of the night too. I'm sure my neighbors loved me.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always used rachect straps to get the exhaust apart. Use the stap to put tension on the joints to pull the apart. Then shake and move the joint back and forth and the strap will pull it apart.

DevilSun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a little bit of patience, and enough room to maneuver it out...did it in my driveway, backed onto a set of wood ramps and then jacked up passenger side a little. Mine came out without much hassle at all, just a little common sense on twirling it out - without dropping the spare that would have been even easier. I did however disconnect the resonator which was probably not needed.