Protection from road salt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does this answer discoloration on the tip? It doesn’t.

You're worried about what, exactly? Discoloration of a BLACK exhaust tip made of 300 series stainless steel? Bro, you need to build yourself a she shed and take up a new hobby.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're worried about what, exactly? Discoloration of a BLACK exhaust tip made of 300 series stainless steel? Bro, you need to build yourself a she shed and take up a new hobby.

Well, you see, there is this thing called chemistry, which can explain a lot of things in our life. So when you have certain chemicals, meeting a surface, they tend to react in specific ways. Now, Calcium Chloride and brine (high concentration sodium chloride), typical de-icing agents, will absolutely react with 300 series stainless steel. This process will take longer than it typically does with bare or coated carbon steel, but it most certainly will begin to react, especially when you introduce water.

So...when you make the tip black, its typically done by anodizing. So, the question then becomes, how does the stainless steel tip, that was anodized black, react to the chemicals listed above? Will it discolor? Will it spot? What will really happen?

Now, what if we throw a coating chemical to protect that anodized tip. What one will work? And also important, how long will it work?

Do I need to elaborate any further or are you caught up on why this is a concern? If you would like me to explain how electron exchange happens and how that helps create rust, I'm sure we can discuss that as a sidebar.

I don't like to be a **** as most people on this forum are quite helpful, but you're special.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, you see, there is this thing called chemistry, which can explain a lot of things in our life. So when you have certain chemicals, meeting a surface, they tend to react in specific ways. Now, Calcium Chloride and brine (high concentration sodium chloride), typical de-icing agents, will absolutely react with 300 series stainless steel. This process will take longer than it typically does with bare or coated carbon steel, but it most certainly will begin to react, especially when you introduce water.

So...when you make the tip black, its typically done by anodizing. So, the question then becomes, how does the stainless steel tip, that was anodized black, react to the chemicals listed above? Will it discolor? Will it spot? What will really happen?

Now, what if we throw a coating chemical to protect that anodized tip. What one will work? And also important, how long will it work?

Do I need to elaborate any further or are you caught up on why this is a concern? If you would like me to explain how electron exchange happens and how that helps create rust, I'm sure we can discuss that as a sidebar.

I don't like to be a **** as most people on this forum are quite helpful, but you're special.

Why don't you publish a study on how to prevent discoloration of black exhaust tips? Or, better yet, develop a new product line meant to prevent discoloration of black exhaust tips. I'm sure the market is YUGE.

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
If you're open to it, it's probably easiest to just remove or swap out the black corsa tips for some other cheaper exhaust tip for winter months. It may be the same or less annual time and cost investment over applying/reapplying some chemical protection product. There's some for around $30 on Amazon, some in black. I just installed this system (bought used) on my truck and couldn't see the swap taking very long unless the tip became stuck/rusted on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're open to it, it's probably easiest to just remove or swap out the black corsa tips for some other cheaper exhaust tip for winter months. It may be the same or less annual time and cost investment over applying/reapplying some chemical protection product. There's some for around $30 on Amazon, some in black. I just installed this system (bought used) on my truck and couldn't see the swap taking very long unless the tip became stuck/rusted on.

Thats a good suggestion, I'll shoot an email to Corsa and ask them. Thanks

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BlackEvo,
Yes; well technically no. When Iron oxidizes it is called rust. When Aluminum oxidizes it is called corrosion. Both damage to the underlying metal. Initial corrosion of Aluminum creates a layer of Aluminum Oxide on the surface which is beneficial in slowing further corrosion.
Interestingly Iron containing metals do not rust below freezing. Having said that in the presence of acids, (Sulfur pollution), salts, and prolonged exposure to moisture will allow Iron containing metals to rust below the freezing point of water. The oxidation will be much slower however.

Eddie

BlackEvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eddie. Rust refers to the oxidation of ferrous metals. I know other metals oxidize as well.
I have had a completely titanium exhaust for 12 years, exposed to the elements, including road salts and ocean air and it looks just like it did the day I bought it, plus it only weighs 9.5 lbs. I haven't seen any companies making anything like this for the Raptor. It would be a durrable solution for looks even if it was just a tip.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stainless (304) tips on the Lightning style side exit from Stainless Works here are welded on, so there would be no changing them for a disposal pair.