Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I wanted my FRP tips black, what would be the most durable option to go with as far as painting or powder coating, or other for the tips.

I like everything about the FRP sport system I have but would like black tips vice chrome.

Thanks!

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of factory exhaust tips being powder coated black. Hopefully will get them tomorrow. Will take some pics and post.

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only good / bad deal is that the tips are welded on in th FRP. exhaust, which is good but bad for painting.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I tried high temp header paint on my factory tips and even doing the paint properly and baking them at the proper temperature, they were chipped in just a few weeks. Then I had them Line-X coated and the idiots didn't even clean or sand them before spraying them with the coating. And within a few weeks, it just came off. I know many people with Line-X coated exhaust tips and they have never had any problems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used black BBQ paint on my stock exhaust, has held up very well for the last 5k miles or so.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Self etching primer followed by Duplicolor ceramic engine paint. Done it this way on multiple vehicles and it doesn't chip.

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Self etching primer followed by Duplicolor ceramic engine paint. Done it this way on multiple vehicles and it doesn't chip.

So I would just clean the chrome tips, apply the primer , and then paint, and it sticks to the chrome?

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I would just clean the chrome tips, apply the primer , and then paint, and it sticks to the chrome?

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!
Sand first 300/600/1200 then primer then paint.

a7b68556cbff7396606127ac4fa56d46.jpg

b03b16590eacc600f229271feb0aa9c0.jpg