My Doug's Cut Out Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my cut out install and an product opinion. Why Doug's? The all SS design, unobstructed flow when open and gate style valve is why I went with Doug's. However, the Y cutout is the big disappointment for me. I knew this up front and ordered a SS Y cutout from Pypes. Now that is what should have come in the kit. I would have been happy to pay $50.00 extra for that quality. The only disadvantage is the one I ordered required welding on one end vs slip-on. This was no problem and I was able to orient the Y exactly where I wanted it before I welded it. I decided cut the stock clamp end off of the resonator pipe and reattach it to the Y pipe, that way I retained the factory safety lock design. BTW, Ford will not sell the factory clamp as it is tack welded to the resonator pipe.
I really studied where I wanted the wires to enter the cab. I found that the shortest and least intrusive way for me was right up to the center console where I planned to mount the switch. I just tied into the rear 12V outlet for power and ground. The in-line 5 amp fuse should be enough protection. I simply de-pinned the motor connector and fed the wires from the console through the 7/16" hole I drilled with a tight fitting grommet back to the motor. The rod in the pic shows the angle to intercept the existing hole above the drive shaft. To reduce water intrusion I packed the motor connector with dielectric grease.
I have to say though, I did not like tearing into the interior, and did so more than I really needed to. But I wanted to make sure I my strategy covered.

IMG_0676_zps3qnsv0fn.jpg
IMG_0670_zpsxdeaxxde.jpg
IMG_0658_zpssa6ifpfm.jpg
IMG_0659_zpszl6rawf8.jpg
IMG_0651_zpsasl4cm2o.jpg
IMG_0666_zps6enyipzc.jpg
IMG_0667_zpshw77rsth.jpg
IMG_0660_zpsudtjysqv.jpg
IMG_0671_zpst086q2hn.jpg

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wanna do this. Is there anyway you could take some more pics of the cutout installed? I'm trying to figure out the install points, and need to see a few more under the truck. I appreciate it!!!

Marcsc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the Dougs cutout with the turndown installed for 18+ months, placed it right after the resonator. The sound is incredible and would definitely reccomend.
Definitley agree with the OP on the Y pipe offered by Dougs, complete garage but beyond that top notch on the cutout and wiring.

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"ordered a SS Y cutout from Pypes"

Do you have the part numbers?

Is it Y EXHAUST CUTOUT 3" 304SS YVX13S ?

Thanks

Yep that's the one.

Pypes Performance Exhaust YVX13S - Pypes 3 Y CUTOUT 304 stainless

R,
HAP

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

look's good do you plan to put a turn down on it?

No turn down planed. I think it might be annoying when starting the engine on beach and blow sand everywhere. Plus I like being able to look right into the valve when needed.

R,
HAP

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, any chance for some additional pics?

For Crown. Let me know if these give you what you are looking for.
For my install I cut out 8, 9/16" from the resonator pipe. You can see I cut the clamp off at the termination of the major diameter. Then I cut the 8, 9/16" off of the remaining resonator pipe for the overall length. Nothing was cut from the muffler side to retain the turn-lock feature. You cant see it any of my pics, but it is a little stud that fits in a keyway that you turn to lock/release the resonator pipe.
IMG_0681_zpslpju7nft.jpg
IMG_0686_zpso1zlempk.jpg
IMG_0685_zpsnovp8ni4.jpg
IMG_0687_zpscg5pqxiv.jpg
IMG_0689_zps5wwdec4n.jpg

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's perfect!!! I really appreciate it, @HAP!!!

I've got the Dirty Deeds and have already removed my resonator, so hopefully this will be a little easier for me.......

Last edited:

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For Crown. Let me know if these give you what you are looking for.
For my install I cut out 8, 9/16" from the resonator pipe. You can see I cut the clamp off at the termination of the major diameter. Then I cut the 8, 9/16" off of the remaining resonator pipe for the overall length. Nothing was cut from the muffler side to retain the turn-lock feature. You cant see it any of my pics, but it is a little stud that fits in a keyway that you turn to lock/release the resonator pipe.
IMG_0681_zpslpju7nft.jpg
IMG_0686_zpso1zlempk.jpg
IMG_0685_zpsnovp8ni4.jpg
IMG_0687_zpscg5pqxiv.jpg
IMG_0689_zps5wwdec4n.jpg

Love the cutout, one question: what model and brand of traction bar do you have there? Thanks