Input needed for Black Widow Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEPA11

Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently purchased a black widow race muffler for my raptor. Here are the setups I’m debating, please provide some input. I’m looking for a sound increase over stock but nothing obnoxiously loud. (It’s a 3” in single out)

1) Replace stock muffler, keep resonator, and keep stock exit

2) Replace stock muffler, remove resonator, and keep stock exit

3) Replace stock muffler, keep resonator, turnout exhaust after cab

Thank you for your help!!!

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently purchased a black widow race muffler for my raptor. Here are the setups I’m debating, please provide some input. I’m looking for a sound increase over stock but nothing obnoxiously loud. (It’s a 3” in single out)

SCAB or SCREW?

#4 Dual exhaust, Lightning style exit. But with that muffler it'll be too loud.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've got the same muffler. I started with replace muffler, no resonator, turndown before rear axle. Sounded great but too much highway drone. I added back in the resonator, still droned at highway speed. Then I added a Helmholtz resonator (or J-tube); this mellowed the exhaust sound a little and completely got rid of highway drone. Haven't touched it since.

OP
OP
N

NEPA11

Reaction score
Screw. I thought about the lightning style too but like you said I think that’ll be too loud.

I noticed today that the exhaust bends up right after the muffler. Do you think I would have enough room to install the muffler and a y pipe and run it into the stock pipes? Are the exit pipes 2.5” or 3”?

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

I've got the same muffler. I started with replace muffler, no resonator, turndown before rear axle. Sounded great but too much highway drone. I added back in the resonator, still droned at highway speed. Then I added a Helmholtz resonator (or J-tube); this mellowed the exhaust sound a little and completely got rid of highway drone. Haven't touched it since.

Does the turndown blow up a lot of dust? In my mind I picture it as essentially a leaf blower haha.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw. I thought about the lightning style too but like you said I think that’ll be too loud.

I noticed today that the exhaust bends up right after the muffler. Do you think I would have enough room to install the muffler and a y pipe and run it into the stock pipes? Are the exit pipes 2.5” or 3”?

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Does the turndown blow up a lot of dust? In my mind I picture it as essentially a leaf blower haha.

If I park on sand or dirt and sit in park and floor it yes, dust kicks up, but if I'm driving the movement of the truck will take car of any downward pointing exhaust fumes.

OP
OP
N

NEPA11

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can just replace the muffler with the new one, attach a ypipe and have enough room to attach to oem pipes at the other end? Thanks

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
This is my 5.0, but my Raptor is set up exactly the same with the same muffler. It doesn’t kick up any dust(these aren’t low riders), and I have zero drone even when towing my 8K toyhauler. I drive people around regularly so that people can hear it and never say they hear drone.
As you can see there’s no resonator into a 3” Race Venom turned down at the cab!
Also, we’ve had plenty of customers do a lightning style exit on their Raptor’s to later change it cause they can’t hear the exhaust.

Attachments

• 87A097AC-6442-4A27-9E6C-8CF30D6564F6.jpg
    87A097AC-6442-4A27-9E6C-8CF30D6564F6.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 42

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score