How should I attach a cat back exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chartquist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice... there are tons of threads here on which cat back exhaust is best, but I haven't seen much on the best way to attach the new exhaust to the pipe from the cat. I plan to delete the resonator. Is it best to just line them up dry and tighten the bolts down? Should I put in an exhaust gasket or use Copper RTV on the joint? Should I use red Loctite on the bolts? Finally, how much should I tighten the bolts? I want to avoid any leaks at that joint and I sure don't want the bolts to come out. Also want to make sure they can be removed if I ever want to switch back to the stock exhaust for resale, etc. Thanks.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dry fitted everything, used rtv in the connections, tightened the bolts down as tight as I could, and then had a shop spot weld them in place.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have MagnaFlow cat back pipes, and wanted to have it so the system could be removed if needed. But with the bolts tightened as much as possible, it leaked so bad I had to have a shop weld it all into one piece. She's permanent now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chartquist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it all installed yesterday with the Dirty Deeds system, and my concerns were totally overblown. It connected where the stock resonator would be attached, and the Dirty Deeds flange fit perfectly. It's tapered for a perfect seal. No need for RTV or a gasket. I was also careful to tighten it progressively, alternating sides and doing it bit by bit.

Attachments

• 20150726_120317.jpg
    20150726_120317.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20150726_120457.jpg
    20150726_120457.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 114