HelmHoltz resonator - No more drone !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I bought my 2013 Scab which had a full custom stainless steel exhaust line, I found I had an horrible drone between 1500-2000 rpm, especially when engine/exhaust was cold, and i'm really not ear sensible, custom exhaust is the first mod I do on my cars & dirtbikes but damn that was too much for me...So after reading several threads on FRF about drone issues and Helmholtz resonator, I decided to go this way...And well I couldn't expect that little thing would be so effective...

No more drone, I can now drive on the highway in 6th gear without getting mad and/or deaf...Cool thing is that it doesn't really affect the sound of the exhaust, maybe just a little quieter, yet without that drone I can now really appreciate the exhaust more clearly...
Best solution I could have for only 80$...Easy and cheap, hope this will help some members here that have drone issues to bite the bullet...

Dimensions :

Diameter : 60mm (2.3")
Length : 650 mm (25")

helmholtz.jpg

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 2.5" x 26" pipe on mine and it completely eliminated the drone on my system. I live in a mid-sized town, about 65K in pop., in NE Alabama and the shops here had no clue about a Helmholtz Resonator. I did the research online, determined the tube size and length needed and drew a picture for the muffler shop. I took it to the muffler shop and the guy said he couldn't imagine how it would help but built exactly what I asked for and it's perfect. Volume unchanged as far as i can tell and the drone is completely resolved.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I am going to do this as well, but going to do turn downs first and see if the drone range changes. If it stays the same, I'll be 3"x28" for both pipes.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you figure out what size tubing and lenght? I tried Google and got nowhere. I have duel 3 in pipes with 2 magnapacks and catless headers!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yeah. How did you come up with such an exact number?

Help out the family's that these heroes left behind fighting for YOUR Freedom.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=840845
Donate now!

Yukon Joe
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

I used the formula one of the guys sent me. However, I've been in communication with Keith from Dirty Deeds, and he's going to set me up with 2" pipe at 26" each. I'll likely be sending him my muffler section in the next week to get it taken care of. I'll keep you posted @Yukon Joe as we have the same setup.