Exhaust work (headers, cut-outs, cat back) and warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my exhaust cut on my Raptor for about a year now and haven't had any problems. I think it sounds good and there isn't any drone when driving on the freeway. My local shop offered to dyno my truck with the cut out open and closed to see the actual difference. I will post my results when I get some free time to go do that.

as far as warranty goes, not too long ago one of my cats were rattling and I took it in to ford and they replaced it under warranty and they didn't seem to have a problem with the cut out.

Here is my video I made with a few drive bys, start ups and showing the switch location I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMvNlcyjS_w&hd=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
xBX

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks- yeah I've seen your video like 1000 times to make sure it's what I want. One of the better ones out there.
Spoke to a shop that was recommended to me by an off road shop here. Hes gonna take a look and see, guy seems to know what he's talking about which good cause I've only spoken to 2 others who know what the **** was going on.
I can't wait. USPS needs to hurry their ass up.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
xBx: I have the switch DMH provided. The roommate orded a different/smaller switch. It is a ON-OFF-ON with it spring loaded to stay OFF. So I can open it half way or all the way. In the video of mine you can tell when my GF only closes it a little bit and opens it a little. It takes about 3 seconds to close or open

Pointcover

Reaction score
Catback Exhaust = Void Warranty?

Has anyone heard of dealers trying to pull this on new Raptor owners? I know Ford has been issuing bulletins to the dealers to void warranties on Mustangs that have been modified (mostly tunes, CAI) recently. Just curious if this might trickle down to us lonely Raptor owners. I know its BS, you know its BS, but the sad reality is they can do whatever they want by letter of the law. Unless you want to hire a lawyer, etc etc.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like anyone can sue for anything...a dealer can void your warranty for anything...does not mean it is right, fair or correct

IMO...create a relationship with a specific dealer, be honest with them about the mods you are going to do or are doing...I have heard some that will approach their Service Manager prior to doing a mod...not asking for permission but giving them a "heads up"...

As far as Mods..most due a Tune, CAI and exhaust...these are NOT earth shattering changes to the truck and again IMO would be hard to say an exhaust caused your wiper motors to fail...

My dealer knows my mods listed above and he gets it...wink wink

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
fred covered that well. if the power steering pump goes they cant deny cuz u have a cat back. talk to the service rep and tell him u plan to do the exhaust and see what he says.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I do...I also make sure I perform all required services and maintenance and have all my receipts...I also ask the dealer if they would be interested quoting me on the mod I am looking to do...if they want or can do it and are in line or even a little higher I will let them do it...

Most of the Service Managers and Techs are good guys and will go to bet for you with "the man" if you treat them well..

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
it could.

honestly. it could.

the guys here have done it. not to raptors... but vettes.. patrols.. etc.
but mostly with 3 inch headers. just an hour in 42 degrees c of heat, doing donuts and let the car stay in 1st gear and at its limiter for the entire period. puff... crank breaks.

Why?
you alleviate back pressure. and back pressure is good because it allows for the pistons to get a rather more relaxed flow and movement to head upwards after an explosion in the cylinder. when the valves clear out and there's not enough back pressure, one side of the piston scratches the cylinder, damaging the cylinder and the piston's head.

so... if the failure is from the chain... or the pulleys.. etc.. it's tough. they can deny you... but you can use the logic i just mentioned and get away with it.

but if the pistons are clean... cylinders.. clean.. and your crank is split in half.. the problem is obviously with the crank/timing.

the reason why engines would fail prematurely... as in if they were made to be perfect.. is simply due to the fact that air could be trapped in the steel/alloy... once the alloy weakens over time... it breaks. i've seen a porsche v8 cayenne turbo break in half.. split. and the guy was given a brand new car.. an upgrade to a turbo s actually.... again.. all engines are prone to failure at some point. there are tougher pistons... you can use.. or custom make.. if your engine fails.. etc.

but then again, catback relieves backpressure, in some cars.. you get hp gains.. but less torque. i can assure you that a freeflow engine without any cats.. literally straight piped... would do way worse than a well piped car with a muffler esp. in offroad conditions.

catbacks.. are low risk, because they only alleviate some back pressure... and factory.. esp. american cats... are very tight, very strict on emissions, the back pressure to keep the pistons are there. Also most manufacturers are aware of the magnuson act and its better for them to have a tight fit for the engine's exhaust for that very reason.

Last edited:

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i believe (and i could be wrong, it happens) that aslong as the stock cats are there and untouched, your fine. some dealers could be ******** and use it as an excuse regardless, but i think most of them wont mind, as long as the cats are untouched.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
it could.

honestly. it could.

the guys here have done it. not to raptors... but vettes.. patrols.. etc.
but mostly with 3 inch headers. just an hour in 42 degrees c of heat, doing donuts and let the car stay in 1st gear and at its limiter for the entire period. puff... crank breaks.

Why?
you alleviate back pressure. and back pressure is good because it allows for the pistons to get a rather more relaxed flow and movement to head upwards after an explosion in the cylinder. when the valves clear out and there's not enough back pressure, one side of the piston scratches the cylinder, damaging the cylinder and the piston's head.

so... if the failure is from the chain... or the pulleys.. etc.. it's tough. they can deny you... but you can use the logic i just mentioned and get away with it.

but if the pistons are clean... cylinders.. clean.. and your crank is split in half.. the problem is obviously with the crank/timing.

the reason why engines would fail prematurely... as in if they were made to be perfect.. is simply due to the fact that air could be trapped in the steel/alloy... once the alloy weakens over time... it breaks. i've seen a porsche v8 cayenne turbo break in half.. split. and the guy was given a brand new car.. an upgrade to a turbo s actually.... again.. all engines are prone to failure at some point. there are tougher pistons... you can use.. or custom make.. if your engine fails.. etc.

but then again, catback relieves backpressure, in some cars.. you get hp gains.. but less torque. i can assure you that a freeflow engine without any cats.. literally straight piped... would do way worse than a well piped car with a muffler esp. in offroad conditions.

catbacks.. are low risk, because they only alleviate some back pressure... and factory.. esp. american cats... are very tight, very strict on emissions, the back pressure to keep the pistons are there. Also most manufacturers are aware of the magnuson act and its better for them to have a tight fit for the engine's exhaust for that very reason.

REALLY...who would have thought that doing 1st gear donuts at the rev limiter for an hour in 42*c heat could possibly screw anything up? Definitely the manufacturer's fault for building such a lemon.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2