Exhaust advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently installed a Roush CAI and before that I swapped my stock muffler for a Flowmaster 40 and cut off my tips. I was intending to buy a Roush exhaust, but I'm really liking how my Raptor is sounding now, so I hesitated.

I then ran across these Ford Racing tail pipes.

New Ford Racing 6 2L Raptor Tailpipes from M 5200 F15R145L Tail Pipes Only 11 12 | eBay

Impulse buy! So I'm putting these on.

Advice: I'm thinking of just having the leftover OEM pipe removed and replaced with these pipes. Should I leave the Flowmaster 40 in there or swap it out with a Magnaflow?

I've read good and bad comments about both. I'm intending to get a 5* tune next. I'm also wanting to wrap up the exhaust mod expenditures, so the cheapskate in wants to leave in the Flowmaster and call it a day. But a little voice is telling me to swap it out with a Magnaflow for better performance.

What say the sages of FRF?

EDIT: Oh, and would you remove the OEM resonator?

Last edited:

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
All I have done is the super 44 Flowmaster. OEM tail pipe which I like the looks of, I am old, and I left the resonator in to keep it livable for a 55 year old ******* who listens to old people music while driving along at 65-80 mph. Been that way for 3 years now. STILL LOVE the sound and the noise especially when hammering it under an overpass! HAhaaaaa.

BDRAG

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like those pipes! Performance is going to be negligible between mufflers. Stick with what you have if it sounds good. How's the drone?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drone to my ear is non existent. It's quiet in the cabin until I stomp on it. It has resulted in significantly poorer gas mileage. Because of all the stomping... ;)

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left the OEM resonator and installed the 15588 magnaflow. I am running the 93 five star performance and AFE CAI. I absolutely love it! Fast as hell and sounds loud when you mash it but no drone

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm between leaving the Flowmaster or doing something with the resonator. Either deleting the Flowmaster and keeping the resonator, or vice versa.

I read somewhere the resonator is a mini muffler. The concern is deleting the resonator and getting an annoying drone. If I keep the resonator but delete the Flowmaster (replace with straight through pipe), I would expect if to get louder but with less drive than if I deleted the resonator. Too loud maybe?

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm pulling this trigger next week.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One mistake that I've made on previous cars/trucks is spending mod money multiple times in the same area, when there are so many other areas that need attention and money.

My opinion is stay with what you have for now, at least don't purchase more or different exhaust stuff.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, I agree. That's why I'm not going to buy anything else. I'm now trying to decide whether to delete the resonator OR the muffler. Not both, that would likely be too loud. I guess I could try just bolting the new tail pipe and call it a day. I just don't want to waste the opportunity of it being at the muffler shop one more time.

Deleting the resonator should be cheap. Deleting the muffler might present a bit of a challenge since it has one inlet and two outlets to feed the two new tail pipes.

I've read many threads about the resonator being a 2011+ addition and removing it making the exhaust a little louder, while other people say removing it introduces a lot of drone. I wouldn't mind a little louder but can do without the drone.

Wondering if anyone did something similar and what their opinion was.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've decided to remove the resonator. Plan A is to have the muffler shop cut it off right befor the flange and replace it with a straight pipe into the muffler. That should be cheap.

I decided to do this after looking at the Roush design and others, which basically do away with the resonator.

But, I'm concerned about drone, so I wanted to "save" my resonator in case I wanted to have it put back. Right now I am trying to find someone who has a resonator they can part with so I can use it for this "mod" or get the flange somewhere. Will take pics and post a video with the sound after I'm done.

Wish me luck!

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you find that you have drone, you might look into some resonator tips. You should be able to find some double wall resonator tips that would look much nicer than the stock tips