Dovetail exhaust options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor1001

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im about to do a dovetail and wanted to know what all the options are as far as exhaust goes. I have a friend who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty that is running a straight pipe. It sounds good and is really attention grabbing to say the least; however, my truck is still my dd and i have family that ride with me all the time on road trips so I'm looking for something that is somewhat tamer. I realize that i can't have a dovetail and a super quiet exhaust, but Im looking for the tamest i can get. You know whats worse than drone on the highway?... listening to complaints about the drone on top of drone on the highway lol

D

Deleted member 12951

What I am going to see about doing is have my pipe cut past the axle and weld on a slip collar or flared. That way I can take it off easily when off-roading and back on when normal DD so I don't have the drone. I already dragged mine at RTF and broke the weld on the hanger plus it looks like my HD leaf springs are hitting it too. I am surprised I didn't rip it off so it will be a welcome mod to set it up with an easy take off.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I was in the same boat, being a daily driver (for the time being) that the wife rides in occasionally, I couldn't bring myself to listen to her complain every time.

So I dumped it. Can't hear her now!

Haha but seriously, what I did was leave the stock resonator, and got a universal magnaflow muffler, I forget the part#, but it's a 3" SI/SO, with a 6"x14" round body (basicly a magnapack with a bigger diameter body), and dumped it right before the rear axle.

I have little to NO drone, quiet when cruising, but has a nice rumbly idle and roars when you step on it. Cost me less than $200 including the hour install at my local muffler shop. I didn't want to spend to much on an exhaust right now, cuz the plan is long tubes and a dumped exhaust to match.

I'll take a picture....

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
^^^ x2

I had a side exit exhaust that kept getting in the way of rocks and debris and cut it off and it would drone at highway speeds. Hated it. This truck I have now has the exhaust dumped before the axle and it's nice and clean. It louder than stock but no drone.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine.
DSC_0015_zpsqsaflf3a.jpg

glamisbound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with a MBRP turndown. They are very clean, not too loud and not much drone. Also very reasonably priced and bolt right up. They are also one of the vendors on here. That or chop the stocker off as shown above

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get an MBRP turndown. I have videos of it. I will have catless SW longtubes in December.