6.2 Doug Thorley headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a Doug Thorley header on my 1986 1/2 Nissan D21 Hardbody 4x4. I ran that truck for something over 12 years with that header on it without any sign of burn-through or trouble. It really woke that little 2400cc 4-banger up.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Long Tube Tri-Y Headers, 2011-14 Ford Raptor SuperCrew, 6.2L – Doug Thorley Headers

"There are performance catalytic convertors included in the y-pipes to help control sound output and exhaust smell, but keep in mind that does not make these headers legal for street use."

Shit. Why did they even bother?

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

The 2016 Camero will use a tri-Y header similar to the design Doug Thorley pioneered:

Sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro to feature 70-percent new parts | Fox News

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps not an issue in your climate but those are not stainless steel. With so many good stainless headers already on the market, I'd pass on these.

OP
OP
tahitiansoul

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is just that I have them on my 5.3 colorado and they are working great. I think they would do same on the raptor.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps not an issue in your climate but those are not stainless steel. With so many good stainless headers already on the market, I'd pass on these.

Doug Thorley has never used SS. The Try-Y headers I had on my old Nissan were hot dipped in chrome, and I never had a problem with them in humid Alabama. He's evidently graduated to a more modern coating now. I don't think that SS alone is a selling point.

Despite my previous stellar experience with Doug Thorley headers on my old Nissan, the fact that these headers for the Raptor are not street legal is an absolute show-stopper for me, and I can't understand why they'd go that route. Surely they must understand that most Raptors are not used in competition.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is up here in the rust belt. The roads are covered in salt, sometimes for weeks or months at a time.

I understand perfectly, Truckzor. They use salt in Alabama, too. Not as frequently as they do up north, but I ran that Thorley header for over 15 winters with no issues. I sold it to a friend, and his grandson is still driving it. That means that those headers have been on the truck for about 25 years without a rust issue.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand perfectly, Truckzor. They use salt in Alabama, too. Not as frequently as they do up north, but I ran that Thorley header for over 15 winters with no issues. I sold it to a friend, and his grandson is still driving it. That means that those headers have been on the truck for about 25 years without a rust issue.

Sounds like he probably uses thicker tubing than you find in most of the aftermarket junk out there. Still don't think you can compare an Alabama car to one up north, though. Up here they'd be an eyesore after one season, even if they didn't rust through for a while.