Borla #40349 Muffler - 2K mile review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vang

Reaction score
Here is a quick warm start.

To get the most important question out of the way, YES IT WILL DRONE around 2k rpms 70 to 75mph on the highway. It is the most I am willing to tolerate on a 3 hour drive..any louder and it would get annoying fast.

Ordered from Jegs, had stock muffler cut off and this one welded in less than an hour. Labor itself varies anywhere from $75 to $200 depending on area. They will need to use extra material to extend the piping just a bit.

Nice subtle rumble at idle to let you know its a V8 and loud when you stomp on it. The gas pedal is essentially the volume knob. Around town it sounds great and not too loud to make the whole neighborhood hate you. On the highway, it's really how much you as a person can tolerate drone. It seems to be much louder in the driver's seat than the passengers seat.

Using off road mode/tow/haul mode, this thing sounds mean and will snarl, crack, rumble, pop like a beast. Around town, its nice and makes you want to go wide open throttle from stoplight to stoplight. On the highway, it depends if you think the drone is worth living with the sound.

Looking back, I would go louder and get a shorter Borla muffler case since my ears are still at a young 24 years of age. I think 14" to 16" would be perfect compared to the 19" I have on now.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Forgot to mention, this is no where near the volume of a Corsa Extreme, Magnapack, or Flowmaster 10 or 44, or straight pipe if you are looking for that.

This is more comparable to a Flowmaster 40 volume wise with a different sound. Volume noise is in the upper moderate range, but no where near extreme like those mentioned above.

Last edited:

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the 40349. For me it is perfect. I eliminated the 2K drone with a helmholtz resonator pipe and it is perfect. I'm using the factory tailpipes and have removed the factory resonator.

OP
OP
V

Vang

Reaction score
I am getting a vibrant ultra quiet resonator welded in today to cut the drone on my long road trips since my 2010 never came with one. If that doesn't work I'll try the helmholtz but I think shops will have no clue what I'm talking about.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a vibrant ultra quiet resonator welded in today to cut the drone on my long road trips since my 2010 never came with one. If that doesn't work I'll try the helmholtz but I think shops will have no clue what I'm talking about.
My shop wasn't only clueless about helmholtz resonators but said, "I can't see any way that's gonna help!" I drew a detailed photo of exactly what length: 28", pipe size: 3" and the bend radius I wanted. They built it welded it in and that was that. It completely eliminated all drone and had no impact on any other aspect of the exhaust sound.

Ramathorn178

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking to dump the interior drone just hack the after axle portion off. I did a couple weeks ago and now the truck is extremely quiet until you mash on it.

Only negatives is that i cut just below the frame rail where the exhaust pipes go from side by side to inline then back to side by side so it doesnt look the absolute prettiest. Also at the point where i cut it you do lose the rear hanger so youll need to get a new one attached to work with the factory hanger point.

Attachments

• tadaexhaust.jpg
    tadaexhaust.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 191

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Borla 40085 with the resonator, very quiet until you smash the gas and you fly to ears paradise

806ROUSH

Reaction score
What is inside the "helmholtz" pipe? To me it just looks like a piece of pipe capped off to basically make a chamber for sound waves to go. I would assume length and bends and where you place it matters, correct?

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is inside the "helmholtz" pipe? To me it just looks like a piece of pipe capped off to basically make a chamber for sound waves to go. I would assume length and bends and where you place it matters, correct?
Length matters, bends and location do not. When I had the Borla 40349 I put a 28"x3" pipe on mine welded to a piece of pipe replacing the resonator. It ran parallel to the exhaust pipe towards the rear of the truck. It can face forward, backward, sideways and have bends or not. The Dirty Deeds 24" I run now has the built-in helmholtz resonator tube behind the muffler running along the muffler toward the front of the truck. Oh, and nothing is inside the helmholtz pipe, it is an empty capped tube.

Last edited:

806ROUSH

Reaction score
Length matters, bends and location do not. When I had the Borla 40349 I put a 28"x3" pipe on mine welded to a piece of pipe replacing the resonator. It ran parallel to the exhaust pipe towards the rear of the truck. It can face forward, backward, sideways and have bends or not. The Dirty Deeds 24" I run now has the built-in helmholtz resonator tube behind the muffler running along the muffler toward the front of the truck. Oh, and nothing is inside the helmholtz pipe, it is an empty capped tube.

Thanks! That is what it looked like to me. I put on Catco hi-flow cats to save money vs. doing long tube headers. They have a slight exhaust leak sound especially when they are cold. That drives me up the wall! I wished I had left it alone.