Best turndown setup?

MBRP vs Black Widow Race Venom (res deleted and turndown for both options)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jblakesmith

jblakesmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the MBRP turndown for about 7-8 months before it started rattling uncontrollably. Ended up cutting it up and sticking a race venom in place of the shot out mbrp "muffler".

Since you've heard and experienced both, which sound do you prefer and why? Is one more loud, more aggressive, deeper, throatier, etc. than the other? No warranty from MBRP? Sucks the MBRP failed, but if it hadn't which sounded better to you? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Thanks for all of the feedback! Much appreciated! The poll is split. I've got a local muffler shop that would provide flange, pipe, and turndown for BW option, so not a problem there. I wouldn't want to cut stock system, just in case I needed to go back. Both would be cat-back, one requiring muffler shop and the other done at home. Question, if I started with the MBRP and later decided to change it up with the BW race venom, could it simply be bolted on/up or would it require more pipe welded to possibly make up an length differences between the two mufflers? Appears the MBRP hangs from pipe clamps, while the BW suggests hangers directly welded onto muffler for more support. Just trying to weigh my options if both use 3.5" pipe. Better to buy MBRP from ebay (best offer) or FRF vendor? Buy BW race venom from OEM site or elsewhere? Thanks again. Looking fwd to a more aggressive louder deep tone.

Floyd91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you've heard and experienced both, which sound do you prefer and why? Is one more loud, more aggressive, deeper, throatier, etc. than the other? No warranty from MBRP? Sucks the MBRP failed, but if it hadn't which sounded better to you? Thanks.

The race venom is by far louder and more aggressive and raw sounding. I'm much happier with the race venoms sound overall.

I didn't even bother trying to warranty it because I was planning on replacing it anyway. It felt a little too civilized for my tastes lol

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i think factory sounds about as good as you are going to get. tomorrow im chopping off at the 2 out on the muffler and just adding turndowns.

little CAI action to liven up the intake motor noise and a tune and the thing is set.

OP
OP
jblakesmith

jblakesmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The race venom is by far louder and more aggressive and raw sounding. I'm much happier with the race venoms sound overall.

I didn't even bother trying to warranty it because I was planning on replacing it anyway. It felt a little too civilized for my tastes lol
Thanks for the review and feedback. Who do you recommend buying the race venom from? Oem website?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Question, if I started with the MBRP and later decided to change it up with the BW race venom, could it simply be bolted on/up or would it require more pipe welded to possibly make up an length differences between the two mufflers? Appears the MBRP hangs from pipe clamps, while the BW suggests hangers directly welded onto muffler for more support. Just trying to weigh my options if both use 3.5" pipe. Better to buy MBRP from ebay (best offer) or FRF vendor? Buy BW race venom from OEM site or elsewhere? Thanks again. Looking fwd to a more aggressive louder deep tone.
I can't seem to find length of the muffler in the MBRP kit, but I can tell you the Black Widow Race Venom is 15" in overall length including 3" on both ends of the muffler that can be cut down if needed. Maybe one of the guys with the MBRP can measure the muffler itself to help you out.

You can order directly from BlackWidowExhaust.com website or contact Haynes Offroad here on FRF.

Roscoe968

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black widow. Had that setup and loved it. There is a little bit of drone but that's to be expected from a turn down setup.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't seem to find length of the muffler in the MBRP kit, but I can tell you the Black Widow Race Venom is 15" in overall length including 3" on both ends of the muffler that can be cut down if needed. Maybe one of the guys with the MBRP can measure the muffler itself to help you out.

You can order directly from BlackWidowExhaust.com website or contact Haynes Offroad here on FRF.

mbrp turndown muffler length is about 20.75 inches. thats just the muffler body and not the pieces that attach to the straight pipe and the turndown tip

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Raptors4ever I had the stock exhaust cut off just after to axle in sort of a turndown orientation before I got the MBRP. It had a bit more rumble from the ground echo, but not even close to the MBRP or any smaller straight through muffler.