Another header question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a banks CAI - BBK throttle body and 5 star tunes. I am going to add headers next. since I am keeping it NA would you suggest 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?

I am not 21 years old anymore I have had 5 million crazy exhaust systems my old age says keep it quiet.
so what would you suggest high flow cats and stock muffler. or just header leave the rest stock? emissions dont matter at this point so other that noise I am open to all ideas.

I am actually happy with the sound after TB and CAI weird how much louder it made it.

I am open to any suggestions as long as there is no drone involved lol thanks for your time

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Headers are cheap but the install is expensive on these trucks, if you aren't 21 and don't want any drone, I would suggest you put the money to better use, like some other mods on the truck :) , I have the SW headers and true dual exhaust, been on the truck for 5 years now, the first year there was considerable drone around 70 mph, now there isn't anything, but loud music coming from the pipes. Good luck with your decision, keep us informed!

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headers are cheap but the install is expensive on these trucks, if you aren't 21 and don't want any drone, I would suggest you put the money to better use, like some other mods on the truck :) , I have the SW headers and true dual exhaust, been on the truck for 5 years now, the first year there was considerable drone around 70 mph, now there isn't anything, but loud music coming from the pipes. Good luck with your decision, keep us informed!
what would you suggest?
from what I have read the SW exhaust has drone. there was a borla exhaust that was not bad according to someone but I have never been in truck with either.
Im pretty sure for me the full exhaust isn't the way.
do you have supercharger or turbo? curious why you went dual exhaust on a NA motor ? do you know the size 7/8 or 3/4? or?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what would you suggest?
from what I have read the SW exhaust has drone. there was a borla exhaust that was not bad according to someone but I have never been in truck with either.
Im pretty sure for me the full exhaust isn't the way.
do you have supercharger or turbo? curious why you went dual exhaust on a NA motor ? do you know the size 7/8 or 3/4? or?
I have the 7/8s exhaust, went dual because it breaths better and at the time I thought I would of had a whipple by now, but I bought a 2nd home, blah blah blah, still want the whipple and I would of done it this year but our dollar is in the tank compared to the US dollar, so waiting for the turn around on that.
On a side note, I have been on a couple raptor runs with others and I get compliments on how nice the truck sounds with this exhaust. You can literally hear me coming form two blocks away, to me it doesn't sound that loud, but I'm the one driving it all the time, lol.

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 7/8s exhaust, went dual because it breaths better and at the time I thought I would of had a whipple by now, but I bought a 2nd home, blah blah blah, still want the whipple and I would of done it this year but our dollar is in the tank compared to the US dollar, so waiting for the turn around on that.
On a side note, I have been on a couple raptor runs with others and I get compliments on how nice the truck sounds with this exhaust. You can literally hear me coming form two blocks away, to me it doesn't sound that loud, but I'm the one driving it all the time, lol.
ha as boring as it is i would of took the second home over a SC any day. just dont tell my wife or she will make me sell all my cars and bikes,lol

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @ROCKETW19. I was of the same feeling as you and took a gamble that payed off. Called Chris (sorry if I got the name wrong) at JDM Engineering. Ordered the Kooks with green cats in 1 3/4". Already had the Borla touring cat back. Couldn't be any happier. Installed everything myself and tried just the mufflers without the resonator bc of the delete pipe that came with the y pipe. There was a lot of drone so went back and grafted in the resonator. Quiet as a church mouse at highway speeds until you mash on the skinny pedal. I've read several threads of other mufflers with no drone namely Corsa and Dirty Deeds. Just thought I would tell you my setup as an option since we're both not 21 anymore :)

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @ROCKETW19. I was of the same feeling as you and took a gamble that payed off. Called Chris (sorry if I got the name wrong) at JDM Engineering. Ordered the Kooks with green cats in 1 3/4". Already had the Borla touring cat back. Couldn't be any happier. Installed everything myself and tried just the mufflers without the resonator bc of the delete pipe that came with the y pipe. There was a lot of drone so went back and grafted in the resonator. Quiet as a church mouse at highway speeds until you mash on the skinny pedal. I've read several threads of other mufflers with no drone namely Corsa and Dirty Deeds. Just thought I would tell you my setup as an option since we're both not 21 anymore :)
ha that is awesome and exactly what I was looking for you tried both ways. I did read Corsa was no drone and dirty deeds also.

so I should buy the headers and the borla touring to go with it. I have not looked up kooks but being 3/4 i think that is better for our NA trucks, I have no idea if it really matters but in theory its better lol
thank you for your post.
thanks to both of you guys

NC Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely do the 1-3/4 if you want to get the most out of it...

I looked into this when I wanted to get headers, (still may, but I decided to pursue fenders, 37s, bumpers, and a winch first) and even though lots of people have the 1-7/8, it seems like 1-3/4 is a better choice because it gives these 6k pound plus trucks the power down low where they really need it.

Look around, I remember seeing a similar post where JDM chimed in about this and said that 1-7/8 with a supercharger makes only a few more horsepower at peak RPM (you may even loose power NA), and the overall power band with the 1-3/4 is better (you don't tend to drive these trucks at peak RPM), even with a supercharger.

I believe they also said that their calculations indicated that 1-3/4 would be sufficient up until like 600 wheel horsepower (off the top of my head that's probably 775+ at the crank), which would most likely require a fully built motor in addition to the supercharger to achieve...

Also, if their is even a minuscule chance you may add a supercharger, your safest bet will be to get the Kooks; as the cats can break apart under the high stresses from the supercharger, and they use a different type of material in their cat that will break up and blow out the exhaust instead of possibly balling up and blocking the exhaust (I've only heard of this ever happening once or twice, but better safe than sorry)

Maybe look into the full Kooks setup while your at it...

It's expensive but the feedback on here seems to show that it's a really nice setup that gives a nice power boost and is pretty tame when cruising, but comes alive easily.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Well said. Just want to make a correction to my original. Spoke to Nick (not Chris) at JDM. Hollar at him. He pretty much said exactly what @NC Raptor posted. Not to mention the fit of the Kooks were outstanding! Tight tolerances and even came with Stage 8 fasteners. I read others had problems with SW hardware some time ago. I'm sure by now they got it ironed out by now, but Nick sold me on the Kooks when I called. Bottom line, you won't be disappointed with fit, finish, performance, sound, and fuel economy if you keep your foot out of it. Ok, scratch that last one. Not happening :biggrin: