1 3/4 vs 1/78 headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94slowbra

Reaction score
im looking to add headers soon and want to know what the difference in both performance and sound is for 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 headers. my truck will stay n/a with performance mods being the exhaust, tune and maybe an intake. ill most likely keep the factory cat back also. my biggest concern is drone, i dont want to fight that. i see s/w and s/p only sell 1 7/8 and american racing mainly sells 1 3/4. so is there any performance gain or loss between the two? what about sound and drone? thanks

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
go for 1 3/4 unless you are going for a supercharger then go for 1 7/8. The 1 7/8 are better for higher power engines

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
go for 1 3/4 unless you are going for a supercharger then go for 1 7/8. The 1 7/8 are better for higher power engines
definitely not going s/c unless one falls in my lap. are you saying this because of performance?
but my 1 7/8 sound awesome.
by awesome do you mean loud or different tone/sound? call me weak but im not looking for loud from this truck. i drive this everyday, have 2 young kids, 2 and 4, and go on multiple road trips a year. i just dont want it to be too loud and annoying

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Watch my videos. Headers probably aren't for you unless you run the factory cat, but what's the point then?

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
factory cat or resonator? your videos of you SW headers with stock exhaust sound good to me. docile at regular cruising then wakes up a little when you get on it. how restrictive is the factory resonator? i know the muffler flows well and i would assume the resonator is just there for sound control
i dont want obnoxious loud but love the sound of of a big v8 with headers. plus the extra power gains wouldnt hurt

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went 1 7/8" because was planning on stroking engine, but have not done it yet, but it is supercharged. I think it did take some away from the low end. If I had it to do over again I would go 1 3/4".

OP
OP

94slowbra

Reaction score
im leaning towards the 1 3/4 but can only find them in american racing and kooks which are both more than the SW. i wish SW made a 1 3/4, not sure why they dont. be even better if SP made them.

SWChris

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stainless Works Can and will make 1-3/4".

I know we have already spoke via PM but just letting everyone else know. It is not a standard part but we can make them.

Thanks Chris