Finally taken her off road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Problem with mods is that I park in an underground car park in the city and I have no room to raise her at all!

I am considering buying a second set of wheels though with off road tyres.

I'm considering a lot of things, but tame and funds are a contributing factor.

I will check, I bought it used, but it was an older gentleman who owned it and it only had 11k miles. I would assume it's not been modified at all, but I will check this out just to be sure.

Thanks for the info.

Ben

I never said to raise it, modding doesn't mean that. And what is considered an old man? Us old folks can have fun too. Lol

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check, I bought it used, but it was an older gentleman who owned it and it only had 11k miles. I would assume it's not been modified at all, but I will check this out just to be sure.

Neither the age of the owner nor the age of the vehicle have anything to do with modifications. A lot of folks buy the Raptor because it's the baddest-ass production truck on the market. They modify it for no other reason that just to make it look cooler.

If it's on top perch, I recommend you drop it to mid-perch or stock height. You will also notice a smoother, softer ride. If you take it to an off-road shop, dropping it to mid or bottom perch may cost you $200-250, plus the cost of alignment (maybe another $50-100 depending on where you take it).

If you have spacers, I recommend you remove them completely. The cost should be about the same as above, except you can sell the spacers (if they're in decent shape) on Craigslist for about $100-150 to any Ford F-150 owner that wants them.

Let us know once you figure it out. I'm curious now.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey B...There is a group of us that put runs on primarily in the NorCal/NV area, from novice to experienced off-road drivers. We just did a poker run out near Fernly, NV, 150 miles of dirt and as @oxfordraptor stated we do have a lost coast run coming up in September. Details should be out this week.

Look us up on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raptor-Offroad-Community/416646561844823
Instagram: Raptor_Offroad_Community

We also work on our trucks together and help each other with that, so let us know if you want to work on your truck and need help, we'd be glad to help. We just did a mid perch job on a truck and also rebuilt a couple of the stock shocks, along with helping with other stuff.

Feel free to reach out to us if you need anything....but hope to see you out in the dirt soon.

OP
OP
B

B.Martin

Reaction score
I never said to raise it, modding doesn't mean that. And what is considered an old man? Us old folks can have fun too. Lol
Dealers words not mine! ;)
Neither the age of the owner nor the age of the vehicle have anything to do with modifications. A lot of folks buy the Raptor because it's the baddest-ass production truck on the market. They modify it for no other reason that just to make it look cooler.

If it's on top perch, I recommend you drop it to mid-perch or stock height. You will also notice a smoother, softer ride. If you take it to an off-road shop, dropping it to mid or bottom perch may cost you $200-250, plus the cost of alignment (maybe another $50-100 depending on where you take it).

If you have spacers, I recommend you remove them completely. The cost should be about the same as above, except you can sell the spacers (if they're in decent shape) on Craigslist for about $100-150 to any Ford F-150 owner that wants them.

I'll check this afternoon, if I can once I get home.

Hey B...There is a group of us that put runs on primarily in the NorCal/NV area, from novice to experienced off-road drivers. We just did a poker run out near Fernly, NV, 150 miles of dirt and as @oxfordraptor stated we do have a lost coast run coming up in September. Details should be out this week.

Look us up on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raptor-Offroad-Community/416646561844823
Instagram: Raptor_Offroad_Community

We also work on our trucks together and help each other with that, so let us know if you want to work on your truck and need help, we'd be glad to help. We just did a mid perch job on a truck and also rebuilt a couple of the stock shocks, along with helping with other stuff.

Feel free to reach out to us if you need anything....but hope to see you out in the dirt soon.

Will be sure to hit you up and keep an eye, thanks for the info! I'll stay in touch and join the groups.

Ben

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was in SF last week and while walking down Nob hill (stayed at Mark Hopkins) I told my wife next time we drive the Raptor. I just dream of the air I would get on those hills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
There will be a Lost Coast run coming up in September. I think tentative dates are Sept. 19 & 20 FYI keep an eye out. How did you like Hollister Hills? I was at Prairie City SVRA last weekend and had a blast on the short course.

Where's the pics of the jumps at Prairie City???

OP
OP
B

B.Martin

Reaction score
I was in SF last week and while walking down Nob hill (stayed at Mark Hopkins) I told my wife next time we drive the Raptor. I just dream of the air I would get on those hills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would really get some air on some of the hills here!

Ben

OP
OP
B

B.Martin

Reaction score

So... Looks like you were right -
IMG_62871.jpg

It is on the top notch.

What are the pros and cons of this?

Ben

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the risk of derailing this thread even further, top perch increases the angle of the driveshafts and accelerates the wear on the CV joints. For those that off-road often, the wear is exponential and results in much faster CV joint failure. Those that don't often off-road may get away with it for a longer period of time, but the CV joints will fail prematurely nonetheless.

Also, top perch extends the shock absorber beyond the sweet spot and creates a rougher, stiffer ride. Some argue that top perch makes the Raptor look the most level. However, I personally think it raises the front too much. I prefer mid-perch and that's what I run.

I recommend you take @vanilla_gorilla up on his offer to help correct the situation and drop your truck to mid-perch. They can also check your CV joints for premature wear and possibly prevent any future problems.

Good luck.