Finally taken her off road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B.Martin

Reaction score
Gents,

I'm quiet on here, I've had my truck a year now but finally taken her out.

I live in SF, I went down to the Sequoia Natioal Forest just over a week ago and took her on the 'Buck Rock Trail'

IMG_62451.jpg

IMG_62381.jpg

Which was great fun and probably perfect for a beginner (my first real time off roading)

Then this last weekend I took her down to the Hollister Hills SVRA and completed most of the lower ranch area, thoroughly enjoyed it and I think I have caught the bug now!

IMG_62721.jpg

I took a few more pics, but didn't want to over do it.

Great time, anyway. Any of you other NorCal lads have any suggestions for my expedition, I'd be interested to hear them.

Happy Raptoring!

Ben

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gents,

I'm quiet on here, I've had my truck a year now but finally taken her out.

I live in SF, I went down to the Sequoia Natioal Forest just over a week ago and took her on the 'Buck Rock Trail'

IMG_62451.jpg

IMG_62381.jpg

Which was great fun and probably perfect for a beginner (my first real time off roading)

Then this last weekend I took her down to the Hollister Hills SVRA and completed most of the lower ranch area, thoroughly enjoyed it and I think I have caught the bug now!

IMG_62721.jpg

I took a few more pics, but didn't want to over do it.

Great time, anyway. Any of you other NorCal lads have any suggestions for my expedition, I'd be interested to hear them.

Happy Raptoring!

Ben

There will be a Lost Coast run coming up in September. I think tentative dates are Sept. 19 & 20 FYI keep an eye out. How did you like Hollister Hills? I was at Prairie City SVRA last weekend and had a blast on the short course.

OP
OP
B

B.Martin

Reaction score
Any high speed stuff? Because that's where she shines!

Nothing high speed, still learning what she can do. I'm also still a little paranoid of breaking her, I'm a work in progress!

Looks like it was a good trip, are you on top perch?

As far as I know she is on standard perch, I haven't changed anything!

There will be a Lost Coast run coming up in September. I think tentative dates are Sept. 19 & 20 FYI keep an eye out. How did you like Hollister Hills? I was at Prairie City SVRA last weekend and had a blast on the short course.

I'll be up for that, I'll try to keep an eye out.

How's Prarie City? It's not too far from SF, I think I might check that one out soon.

Ben

D

Deleted member 12951

Looks like a fun trip. Now that you got the "bug" then mods are likely to follow. :)

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you buy it new or used? It looks like it's riding a little high in the front and looks like it either is on top perch or has a leveling kit installed. Either one of those may shorten the life of your CV joints.

If you bought it used, look at the front Fox shock absorbers and look for groove rings underneath the spring perch (the blue metal thing where the springs rests). If you see two grooves (separated by a little over an inch, you are on top perch; one groove means you're on mid perch and no grooves means you're riding stock height and you will need to determine if you have a leveling spacer installed.

This is what it will look like on top perch - notice the two grooves on the shock body underneath the blue metal spring perch:
16.jpg

If you didn't see any grooves on your shock absorbers, but are still riding high, you may have a leveling kit. Leveling kits are harder to spot if you aren't familiar with the stock suspension. You will need to look at the top perch (where the top of the shock absorber connects to the frame) and see if there is either an additional block or a spacer on top of the stock spacer. It may have a company logo (other than Ford) such as ProComp, Daystar, Fabtech, ReadyLift or other third-party logo.

They look like these:

66-2055_readylift_ford_raptor_leveling_kit.jpg

Plenty of resources on this forum to help you find out. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

B.Martin

Reaction score
Looks like a fun trip. Now that you got the "bug" then mods are likely to follow. :)

Problem with mods is that I park in an underground car park in the city and I have no room to raise her at all!

I am considering buying a second set of wheels though with off road tyres.

I'm considering a lot of things, but tame and funds are a contributing factor.

Did you buy it new or used? It looks like it's riding a little high in the front and looks like it either is on top perch or has a leveling kit installed. Either one of those may shorten the life of your CV joints.

If you bought it used, look at the front Fox shock absorbers and look for groove rings underneath the spring perch (the blue metal thing where the springs rests). If you see two grooves (separated by a little over an inch, you are on top perch; one groove means you're on mid perch and no grooves means you're riding stock height and you will need to determine if you have a leveling spacer installed.

This is what it will look like on top perch - notice the two grooves on the shock body underneath the blue metal spring perch:
16.jpg

If you didn't see any grooves on your shock absorbers, but are still riding high, you may have a leveling kit. Leveling kits are harder to spot if you aren't familiar with the stock suspension. You will need to look at the top perch (where the top of the shock absorber connects to the frame) and see if there is either an additional block or a spacer on top of the stock spacer. It may have a company logo (other than Ford) such as ProComp, Daystar, Fabtech, ReadyLift or other third-party logo.

They look like these:

66-2055_readylift_ford_raptor_leveling_kit.jpg

Plenty of resources on this forum to help you find out. Good luck.

I will check, I bought it used, but it was an older gentleman who owned it and it only had 11k miles. I would assume it's not been modified at all, but I will check this out just to be sure.

Thanks for the info.

Ben

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing high speed, still learning what she can do. I'm also still a little paranoid of breaking her, I'm a work in progress!

I'll be up for that, I'll try to keep an eye out.

How's Prarie City? It's not too far from SF, I think I might check that one out soon.

Ben

Prairie City is fun man hit me up if you go I'll roll if available.