Drove from OC to Riverside at rush hour. Didn't even see one other vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Discovered yesterday that Maple Springs truck trail has finally opened, so a buddy and I drove over Saddleback mountain tonight. This fire road had been closed due to storm damage from our just-before-Christmas storm. As I understand it a lot of trees were blocking it and the road itself took some damage due to runoff. On today's trip (weekday evening) we didn't see one other vehicle.

A Raptor + this route is probably the fastest way to get to from Lake Forest to Corona at 5:00pm.

attachment.php

In-cab video. Sorry about the techno music, the original audio on this was corrupted and out-of-sync (extremely annoying) so I had youtube replace it with a stock audio track (questionably less annoying).

There were 2-ft high waterbars (triangular shaped dirt mounds for runoff) that slowed me down a bit as you can see. You can launch these on the mountain bike with a 48" wheelbase, but I imagine they'll kick the back end up (and nose down) on a truck for being so short. On last MTB ride up this trail I found the front air dam from a Chevy in the bushes that tried it anyway. The smaller ones are fun though.

Found this little hill and tried out low range with the locker on the way up:

And tried hill descent on the way down (no brakes): FF to at least 1:00. I need to go read the manual on hill descent, don't quite understand how you set speed. That noise that sounds like a bad belt is HDC pulsing the brakes.

(And yes, I totally understand that using these features was unnecessary for this hill... I just wanted to push all the buttons. :ROFLJest:)

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Saddleback1.jpg
    Saddleback1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Saddleback2.jpg
    Saddleback2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 250

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Setting your speed with hill descent is not too complicated. Step on gas to go faster and step on brake to go slower. Now don't you feel stupid for not being able to figure that out? ............... Happened to me too!

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Great videos and great pics.
Pressing buttons is fun, especially when I press my wifes buttons and **** her off. Makes me laugh.
Very cool scenery!

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great trail Droid, even better when you have it to yourself.

Great videos and great pics.
Pressing buttons is fun, especially when I press my wifes buttons and **** her off. Makes me laugh.Very cool scenery!

ILMAO! I'm usually high tailing it for the garage after pressing wifes said 'buttons', schukin' and jivin' the whole way so as to avoid the shoe in the head.

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Droid:

Any directions on how to get there? I am not familiar with the area and want to check it out.

TIA.

Bar

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Droid:

Any directions on how to get there? I am not familiar with the area and want to check it out.

TIA.

Bar

Take Santiago Canyon Rd to Silverado Canyon Rd, then go to the end of Silverado Canyon Rd. The gate at the end marks the beginning of Maple Springs truck trail. It's a one paved road for the first three miles or so, then turns to dirt. After 4-5 miles of driving in dirt up the road you'll get to "four corners". Four corners is actually two sets of three corners separated by about 1/4 mile of trail.

When you arrive at four corners (having driven up Maple Springs), always stay left at the first fork. The right fork is Harding Truck Trail, which is always closed except for hiking/biking in my experience. It goes back down the mountain to Modjeska Canyon.

At the second fork (having gone left at the first), the left fork takes you to Riverside and the right fork takes you to Modjeska and Santiago peaks. The right fork was closed yesterday. Regardless of which way you go, you're now on Main Divide Truck Trail.

If you then go a few miles on the left fork you'll come to another fork. Staying left keeps you on Main Divide Truck Trail, going right takes you to Bedford Motorway. We went right down Bedford into Corona. There are signs that indicate "private road" at the very end of Bedford...apparently this is the locals' illegal way of trying to avoid traffic passing by their homes.

Manhattan Beach, CA to Maple Springs Truck Trail, Trabuco, CA 92676 - Google Maps

You can find it on Google maps as "Maple Springs truck trail, ca". Above link is directions from Manhattan Beach. Google maps appears to be choosing about the halfway point as the destination.

Beware that the gates can be closed for fairly arbitrary reasons. Have gone out there before only to find the gate closed. This site is supposed to show the status but it's not updated regularly: Cleveland National Forest - Current Conditions

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Droid....

1) press play on the first video.
2) apply vick's vap-o-rub all over yourself, insert MDMA and pacifier, crack glowsticks, proceed to trance-rave.
3) pause video at the 1:10 mark
4) note the terrain, that is your setup spot.
5) Press play, at the 1:17 mark your Raptor's first jump awaits you

I vote you go back and hit 1:17 with some speed and video. Air time.

....and tell your Brother to quit hiding from the forum, where is that guy?