Wiring center speaker to 2 way radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noah

Is it possible to hook up the center speaker AND a external speaker (siren) together to have the external speaker work for the radio?
you would need an amplifier of some sort. i dont think the radio has enough power to do them both. if the external speaker has an amp then you should be ok. it also depends on the type of external speaker you are using. need a little more info on that

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the Radio. Units like the Kenwood TK have a built in Amp to feed an external speaker . 13w amp from main unit and 5w from the remote head which is plenty for one like the center channel speaker. Units That have a headphone or line level output should not be used to drive speakers. A headphone jack on your phone for instance is not a real line level output but its also not designed to power a speaker. Its normally set for an impedance of 16 ohms or so and low wattage. If you plug in a 4 ohm speaker you could plow its micro amp. And line level is designed for extremely high impedance with almost no power, which feeds a clean signal to your amp.

If you don't have a built in amplified source I would just buy a cheap 12v mono amp of amazon/ebay they are $15 or less and will give you the power you need. Reality is you don't need more than 10w. I use the 5w on my Kenwood as its plenty loud so did not see the need for the 13w feed