Wiring center speaker to 2 way radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to wire my center speaker to my 2 way radio. I'm obviously doing something wrong as its not working, so here I am asking for help.

Here's what I got, a 3.5mm jack connected to the 2 way radio with these three wires out, and then the speaker with the red and green wires. Tried every combination and no go.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 184

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to wire my center speaker to my 2 way radio. I'm obviously doing something wrong as its not working, so here I am asking for help.

Here's what I got, a 3.5mm jack connected to the 2 way radio with these three wires out, and then the speaker with the red and green wires. Tried every combination and no go.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

I may be totally off here, but I think CB's usually pipe out very low power for an external speaker, is possible that you don't have enough power to move the 25W center-channel speaker?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be totally off here, but I think CB's usually pipe out very low power for an external speaker, is possible that you don't have enough power to move the 25W center channel speaker?

You may be right. I think I'm gonna connect the cable to my phone and play some music and see if I can get it to play off the speaker that way.

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be an issue with the stereo jack you picked up. I ran a mono jack (2 wire) and it worked fine wired either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the output with that jack is a pre amp signal. you should use the wires that go to the built in speaker on your 2 way radio.

Well I hooked up the cable to my phone and had the music playing out the center speaker. So I'm figuring I'm good, or are you saying I will have issues? I'd rather figure it out now while truck is apart than once everything is assembled.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the output from your phone is a standard speaker signal. its designed to power a speaker. the output from your radio, even though its the same size plug is a pre amp signal. its designed to go to an amplifier of some sort. its a low level low noise signal. at the internal speaker of your radio it is a standard speaker signal. best to tap into it there.

OP
OP
H

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the output from your phone is a standard speaker signal. its designed to power a speaker. the output from your radio, even though its the same size plug is a pre amp signal. its designed to go to an amplifier of some sort. its a low level low noise signal. at the internal speaker of your radio it is a standard speaker signal. best to tap into it there.

Ok, so instead of connecting the plug to the back of the radio, cut the jack, and then splice the wires to the wires going yo the speaker inside the radio?