VHF radio powered by cig lighter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a VHF radio that I can just plug into my lighter to power it. I need a 50w radio so the handheld types won't have enough power. I only want to have it in my truck for the few runs I do each year, so I'd just to be able to pop it into the lighter but I've only found ones that need to be hooked "directly to the battery."

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your question is simple the answer is complicated. The simple answer is the wire on the cigarette lighter is too small for a 50 watt radio.. The fuse is too small and you cant just change the fuse to make it better.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hide the radio so that it's not visible when it's not in use but when you need it you can plug the mic in and go.

Mine is mounted in the center console and wired to the center speaker with a mic port on the kick panel of the center console.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your question is simple the answer is complicated. The simple answer is the wire on the cigarette lighter is too small for a 50 watt radio.. The fuse is too small and you cant just change the fuse to make it better.

I thought the power points in the fords had a 20a fuse. If that is the case then at 50w most radios use around 12a when transmitting on high. So he could rig one up. Biggest issue is making sure he has a clean ground on the radio.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might be able to get by with that setup, but you will blow the fuse in the cig lighter plug end.
Communications on a run is important. You don't want to have to be messing with fuses on a set up you could have prevented.

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.

TRAIN HORNS!!! Thanks to Hornblasters.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=801448

D

Deleted member 12951

Interesting my ICOM F5021 came with a cig socket adapter and I have it plugged into the center console socket.....

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting my ICOM F5021 came with a cig socket adapter and I have it plugged into the center console socket.....
I bet that plug end has a higher rated fuse than most typical cig plugs. Would be interesting to see what it says in the manual.

To the OP, if you go this route, look into the icom adaptor.

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.

TRAIN HORNS!!! Thanks to Hornblasters.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=801448

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran the icom F5021 that RDFTS is speaking of with no issues. I did unplug it when not in use, also it did not run hot at the plug even after 12 hours on the trail. Outlaw sells it this was so so you can run it in any chase rig.