VHF radio install pic's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UHF does not actually penetrate better.
The shorter wave length allows it to 'reflect' off dense objects
thereby, getting into the nooks and crannies better than a longer wavelength.
That is why reception can very with as little as one or two steps in a different direction.
Those commercial airlines transmitting on AM, with that wide bandwidth, even get into my FM radio in the garage. Cheap filtering in the FM radio.

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine mounted off my bed rack. It's a mag. mount with a no ground plane antenna. It works really good with no signal loss.

Yea, I am going with a tab on my bed rack I decided. I did get a ground plane, perm mount antenna though so we'll see how it works.

centorian

Reaction score
Finally got mine installed in dash above radio. Antenna cable running down under door sill up by rear door into top door edge hook for its base. Best of all how mic can be cradled inside sunglasses pocket and won't fall.

4esy2y5u.jpg

a4e2ymu6.jpg

ba9eduqa.jpg

ysaha7y5.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks clean.

So your main radio is below the dash? How is it mounted there?

What did you do for a speaker and antenna?

korbendallas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks clean.

So your main radio is below the dash? How is it mounted there?

What did you do for a speaker and antenna?

It is a little hard to see in the last photo, but I welded a plate onto the bracket below the steering column. The speaker is wired to the center speaker in the dash. And the Antenna is an NMO drilled into the roof. I had to take the headliner out to cleanly mount the radio control so it was easy to put in a couple antenna while there. I also mounted a cellular antenna for a repeater I will install at a later time.