VHF radio install pic's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a range comparison for the different mounting options.

Ideally your antenna would be mounted dead center of the roof. This would give you an equal ground plane for best range in all directions. I've noticed that the majority of the fixed mounts are just above the third brake light. This should give you great range forward but not so great to the rear. I don't know how far is far enough but I'd imagine some of the guys running out in the desert would need to talk further than those of us in the southeast.

If I had to do it over again I'd get a no-ground plane antenna and mount it wherever is the most convenient. Mine is in the left middle/ rear of the roof due to the sunroof and body contours. I get great range and reception but the whistle from the wind on the highway is annoying. I just put a ton of Dynamat in the roof and run with the antenna removed unless it's needed just to cut down on the noise.

I know from real world experience that I was able to hear and talk further than most of the other trucks using the same radio during the smokey mountain run. Using cell phone verification I could easily talk to people who couldn't reach back to me although I could get some broken snippets. I would attribute the antenna positioning to this since we were running the same radio and antenna combo but mounted in a different location. Up close like during the normal trail activities a handheld would be fine so antenna placement seems irrelevant.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On average I talk 20 to 40 miles simplex with my antenna mounted on the bed rail. I use my radio pretty much every day.

KD2CDV

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, in a urban environment too. A lot of trees and building. 40 mile runs are from tropospheric ducting. I notice it more in the mornings and evenings.

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Factoid! Icom 5021s are VHF, line of sight. Carrys a bit further in terrain. UHF will carry further in open areas however. That's why aircraft use UHF. EMS and Po Po use UHF in the cities if they have repeaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Factoid! Icom 5021s are VHF, line of sight. Carrys a bit further in terrain. UHF will carry further in open areas however. That's why aircraft use UHF. EMS and Po Po use UHF in the cities if they have repeaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhat correct. All aircraft use VHF-AM except military aircraft which use UHF-AM. When over the oceans they switch to HF frequencies.
A lot of police ems and fire have switched to VHF with multiple repeater systems. UHF tends to be more popular in bigger cities because UHF waves can penetrate building and other obstructions better. In a open line of sight VHF will always out perform UHF.

DezRaceSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the same kit and I really don't wanna mount it to the roof. I am thinking of doing a tab on a bed rack or chase rack.

I have mine mounted off my bed rack. It's a mag. mount with a no ground plane antenna. It works really good with no signal loss.