VHF radio install pic's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CB Freshness

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you post some more pics and some info about how they got the instal so clean

Oops forgot to quote

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Here's mine just done today by River Oaks stereo in Houston, Tx

Got any more info on this?

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stupid question. What do you mean "mic mount grounded"

Im guessing that the mount itself just has to be grounded, but i dont use the mount, i just use a cup holder.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Icom radio will recognize the mic metal back piece is or is not touching a ground. It does this to know the mic is hung up and triggers features in the Radio. Some features will not work if it is not grounded such as the "Scan" function. So if the clip is grounded when you hang the microphone it knows its not in use...

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Icom radio will recognize the mic metal back piece is or is not touching a ground. It does this to know the mic is hung up and triggers features in the Radio. Some features will not work if it is not grounded such as the "Scan" function. So if the clip is grounded when you hang the microphone it knows its not in use...

stupid icom :upyours:.... Yaesu :rockit::troll3:

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I could easily run a ground wire from one of the mic screws. My current mount is pressure only to hold the clip on the dash. There are NO holes drilled in my dash. I won't know how well it holds up until I take it off road in a couple of weeks.

Can someone tell me if I have to use an Icom speaker? I see the Icom's are rated at 4 ohms, and 5 watts. There are many cheaper high quality speakers that all seem to be 8 ohms, and up to 15 watts. I've never been good with ohms!!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I could easily run a ground wire from one of the mic screws. My current mount is pressure only to hold the clip on the dash. There are NO holes drilled in my dash. I won't know how well it holds up until I take it off road in a couple of weeks.

Can someone tell me if I have to use an Icom speaker? I see the Icom's are rated at 4 ohms, and 5 watts. There are many cheaper high quality speakers that all seem to be 8 ohms, and up to 15 watts. I've never been good with ohms!!

Get a cheap one from a truck stop.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Watch the ohms rating the higher the number the lower the volume will be it has to do with load.. Cheap speakers mounted under the dash wont sound good... Get a good quality one for a few dollars more. Or better yet get a 3.5mm male male and plug it in to the factory stereo... about 3 bucks if your on a budget... but no does not have to be Icom...