VHF radio help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been looking around on the site and have found several good articles about "race radios" but I am still very confused. If I wanted to get a simple radio and spend around $200-$400ish and have the following features what would you recommend?

1. Have a several channels to choose from in case I'm in a high traffic area.
2. Be able to use at events like the Texas Raptor Run.
3. Not have to take some class to be permitted to use it. This isn't a deal breaker I just would prefer not to have to.
4. Has a decent range. I don't know what's standard but at least 5-10 miles if possible, 20+ would be asome!

If I am using the term "race radio" wrong please let me know. Also could someone please explain these radios using not so technical terms for someone who knows nothing about them. Just the basics on features and things that you want to make sure it has. How important is the antenna?

Lastly is there anyone out there that maybe sells them who might be interested in doing a group buy on a nice complete kit that fits some of the above requirements?

Dave
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me just add if I lived in Texas or Arizona or California I could see spending much more on a higher quality radio. I'm just looking to get a real nice radio with the right features the 1st time around.

Dave
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought of 1 more thing. I am a boater born and raised. I use vhf radios on boats to talk to other boats. Is this the same vhf as "race radios"?

Dave

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
1. Get a mobile unit. Not a handheld. Expect to spend 250-300
2. They can be programmed to run marine freqs but not vice versa.
3. Raptor addict sells a good kit.

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Get a mobile unit. Not a handheld. Expect to spend 250-300
2. They can be programmed to run marine freqs but not vice versa.
3. Raptor addict sells a good kit.

Ur not stepping on any toes in any way, if you know what ur doing please set it up!

Dave

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This little package worked great at Texas Raptor Run... Even though there was not a lot of radio traffic (except cattle guard at mile mark 17, out of gas at mile mark 18, flat tire at 26, tell jarrett to not mess with the bull)

-Greg

What kind of real world range can you expect with this radio? Also what about needing a license to use?

Dave