VFH Roof install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'am installing at the PCI roof mount for my Icom radio this next weekend. What drill size to do i use for that? Also should i silicon seal it or anything like that?

Thanks!

schmitty

Reaction score
I just did this two weeks ago. I don't remember the size hole, but just started with a really small bit and then used a step bit to finish it.

Just a quick, but good tip. Use blue tape over the spot you are drilling and peel the edges up and add more tape to make a bowl all the way around the drill site. The bowl will catch most, if not all of the shavings. You could then use a shop vac or just pieces of tape to get all the shavings out of the bowl. Any shavings that get missed and sit on top of the roof for a week will bond with the paint and are extremely difficult to remove without damaging the paint. Don't ask me how I know...:mad:

I went to Napa and bought a larger o-ring to go under the antenna. For some reason the one that came with my antenna was too small to create a decent seal.

I also picked up a "rain cap" from amazon for like $4 for when I'm not using it.
41GTWbBbvdL._SY450_.jpg
Here's the link:

Amazon.com: "Rain Cap" for NMO Antenna Mounts: Automotive

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skip the silicone seal. Over time, that stuff is not all its cracked up to be for water sealing. Go to any automotive paint supplier (Napa may carry it) and pick up some 3m strip caulk. Its like modeling clay, comes in 1/4" round strips and compressed down when you tighten the antenna. The advantage to it, besides the lack of mess, is that it doesnt harden over time (remains flexible) and seals excellent. Then whatever oozes out of the edge just peels right off. Really good stuff!

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a 5/8 drill. For nmo. Look closely, no need to drill out for
The antenna. If you look at
The mount the "antenna" the 3/4" comes off and is meant to be mounted outside. This way you can change antenna / put a cap on without it dropping into the headliner.

I did this 2 weeks ago with my nmo mount from the antenna farm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433809427.698279.jpg

Juiced4ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 5/8 drill. For nmo. Look closely, no need to drill out for
The antenna. If you look at
The mount the "antenna" the 3/4" comes off and is meant to be mounted outside. This way you can change antenna / put a cap on without it dropping into the headliner.

I did this 2 weeks ago with my nmo mount from the antenna farm.

View attachment 64998

@Huck hit it on the money. If you can reach where you are drilling from the bottom, then just use a 5'8"s bit. Tape it and drill it. Do a small pilot hole to prevent any bit walking and drill away. Then take the top ring of the nmo off and push the wire end up from the bottom, then screw the ring back on. Smaller hole with better fit.

You only need to use the 3/4" hole saw if you cant reach the area that you are drilling from the bottom.

Also jump on antenna farm and get yourself a rain cap. Makes it nice for carwashes and parking garages.

hope that helps a bit.

OP
OP
ajstar89

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys! I'am using Pci's setup so it looks like a 3/8 hole, but some great technique advice here. I might do a write up on the install after I'am done.

I think I'll 3m tape it off then I'll drill with a shop vac to collect the shavings. And strip caulk it down. Seems easier than I was making it out to be. And advice for peeking into that headliner in the corner?

PCI connection
http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3739739766392783105

Juiced4ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the PCI kit as well. Head liner is easy, its on plunger plugs. Just pull down and your there. Or if your gonna drill where the 3rd tail light is you can remove the light and access that area right there. )I put mine a little further forward, I pulled the rear of my headliner down, then reached in through the open rear window and was able to see through the third tail light hole.) You can sneak the cable along the very back of the headliner to the c pillar. bull the bolt above the seatbelt slot and you can pull the plastic away. Then you can sneak the cable over the airbag and down the c-pillar to the door sill. pull up door sill, stash cable there and run up to b pillar then out to the center console. Pretty easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 127

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend putting a large fender washer between your antenna mount and the roof (underside of the roof) reason being is that the antenna mount is tiny, and if you start hitting tree branches and stuff its likely to fold / rip through the sheet metal.

Adding in that finder washer spreads the load on the roof and should help drastically