Upgraded Speakers, Sub & Amps Worthy of Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerryT

Reaction score
Got really tired of pathetic Sony sound so am upgrading front door speakers to Hertz HSK165.4 6 1/2" component speakers driven by JL 300/2V2 2x150 watt amp. I'm replacing Sony Sub with JL 13TW53 13.5" thin-line sub mounted in JL SB-F-150 13TW5 under back seat custom enclosure. I'm driving new sub with a JL XD600/1 Amp with seperate JL HD/XD Amp Remote Bass Control. Will finally have a sound system worthy of the Raptor.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got really tired of pathetic Sony sound so am upgrading front door speakers to Hertz HSK165.4 6 1/2" component speakers driven by JL 300/2V2 2x150 watt amp. I'm replacing Sony Sub with JL 13TW53 13.5" thin-line sub mounted in JL SB-F-150 13TW5 under back seat custom enclosure. I'm driving new sub with a JL XD600/1 Amp with seperate JL HD/XD Amp Remote Bass Control. Will finally have a sound system worthy of the Raptor.

Sounds good...are you going to be running a standard Line-Out Convertor to the stock stereo or are you going to add some sort of sound processor to beef up the entire system?

OP
OP
J

JerryT

Reaction score
Sounds good...are you going to be running a standard Line-Out Converter to the stock stereo or are you going to add some sort of sound processor to beef up the entire system?

Going to see how it sounds with just standard line-out converter initially and will add sound processor if necessary.

acgott

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the same sub/amp combo until I learned that the sub is more mid range bass and not low end. Since I listen to more trance and dubstep than anything else I would rather have the low end bass.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Going to see how it sounds with just standard line-out converter initially and will add sound processor if necessary.

Good call. The factory radio will place certain limits on the sound and distort your sound...especially your bass. If it doesn't bother you, then no reason to spend your money. But if it does, a sound processor will fix it all.

I was thinking about doing the same sub/amp combo until I learned that the sub is more mid range bass and not low end. Since I listen to more trance and dubstep than anything else I would rather have the low end bass.

You're not going to get low end from any shallow-mount sub.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How can I keep my luxury package head unit, speakers, and shoot for loudness or is this possible with the upgraded OEM sound system using amp only?

12' Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
08' SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How can I keep my luxury package head unit, speakers, and shoot for loudness or is this possible with the upgraded OEM sound system using amp only?

12' Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
08' SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS

Adding a sound processor could make your sound system better if you didn't want to change anything else. A sound processor would basically allow you to have an equalizer on your entire system and bypass factory presets.

The only problem that I could potentially see with this is that Ford puts those limits on there not to harm the speakers. If you bypass those limits on your own, I think it could have the potential to damage your speakers. That being said, I feel like you'd be better off replacing the stock speakers without having to add amps or anything like that. I did that on my truck and you can definitely tell a difference without breaking the bank. A pair of speakers for the front doors and a pair for the rear doors (4 speakers total) would run about $200 give or take, depending on what you bought.

jjeffreyc97

Reaction score
Installing an amp

How would I hook up an amp to the factory head unit? Is ther an open set of RCA cables behind it. A friend and I are going to add a under the seat box with 2 tens, infinity kappa and a infinity 1600w amp with a capacitor. But leaving the door speakers alone. I don't have the Sony system so I would imagine I have to run all the wires? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fella's

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would I hook up an amp to the factory head unit? Is ther an open set of RCA cables behind it. A friend and I are going to add a under the seat box with 2 tens, infinity kappa and a infinity 1600w amp with a capacitor. But leaving the door speakers alone. I don't have the Sony system so I would imagine I have to run all the wires? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fella's
if only for a subwoofer, then you need to us a hi-to-low converter. this part taps into the speaker wires and gives you RCA outputs which you can then run to your amp