Sync wierdness with text msgs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '14 Raptor with Sync the way it handles my text messages is sort of strange.

One, when I'm in my truck and get a text it notifies me three times. It also rarely displays the correct contact on who the text is from. Sometimes it displays a name of someone I haven't spoken to in years!

Two, when I'm away from my truck and have new text messages on my phone (read and unread) that Sync has not seen before it chimes and notifies for every time the phone connects. Sometime its not immediate but rather until I get a new text while connected then it chimes for every old one after that.

I like the text notifications while driving (I only ever read them, never reply while driving ;-) so I don't want to turn off, not sure if that's even an option. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar experience and if there is a fix or work around. Not sure what version Sync I'm on but can check if that helps.

TIA

TScozz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a new one to me. I would try disconnecting your phone, master reset SYNC, and reconnect. The master reset seems to be Fords answer for any SYNC issues. I had issues with SYNC while playing music via Bluetooth, and the master reset did nothing. Hopefully you will have better luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FordIVTteam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '14 Raptor with Sync the way it handles my text messages is sort of strange.

One, when I'm in my truck and get a text it notifies me three times. It also rarely displays the correct contact on who the text is from. Sometimes it displays a name of someone I haven't spoken to in years!

Two, when I'm away from my truck and have new text messages on my phone (read and unread) that Sync has not seen before it chimes and notifies for every time the phone connects. Sometime its not immediate but rather until I get a new text while connected then it chimes for every old one after that.

I like the text notifications while driving (I only ever read them, never reply while driving ;-) so I don't want to turn off, not sure if that's even an option. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar experience and if there is a fix or work around. Not sure what version Sync I'm on but can check if that helps.

TIA

Hi andreb,

TScozz is correct. The master reset is a good first step. Which system do you have: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/setup/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html Let me know, and I'll provide the instructions.

Shaay

OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so here it what it did today:

Got in my truck, no unread txt on my phone. Sync found phone.
Ask my wife to text me.
I get one alert that correctly identifies her, then a second to say 2 unread messages, then a third alert identifying someone who hasn't txt'd me in over a year.
Going in and looking at messages it shows 8 messages. I mark all read then delete on Sync.
New txt comes in from wife, i'm using nav so don't see alert but hear chime.
Go back to txt msgs on Sync and there are now three txt's

So that didn't really seem to cure anything.

I also discovered the reset clears your favorites and recent locations in the nav. Would be nice if you could save that data to you Sync account online and restore later or move to new vehicle just like a mobile phone. My truck connects to my home wifi when parked in front so it can get internet access.