Sync Scheduled Maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BKA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm going up the freeway on-ramp this morning when all of a sudden my headlights flash and the dash gauges, information center display and MFT all go dead for a split second and then come back to life!? Then the MFT display reads something like "performing scheduled maintenance"? Everything seems fine but this took me by surprise while I was driving and I haven't had a chance to look into this yet. Was wondering if anyone can clue me in on this.

Big Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happened to my 2013 but it occurred at start up not in the middle of driving on the highway. The screen froze for a minute then I got the message and then everything went back to normal only happened one time in the past year.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Haven't had it happen while driving, but always happens after swapping tunes.

OP
OP
BKA

BKA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to have to research this and see how I can prevent it from occurring while I am driving. Freaked me out as it was still dark out and everything went black. Truck kept running but all electronics seemed to go dead, even thought it was only for a split second.......

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All three of the Raptors I have had have done that. It is not a scheduled maintenance as far as pre-planned. It is a response to the head unit crashing. We just drove my 14 from Colorado to Wisconsin using Nav and about 10 hours into the trip at a navigation prompt the whole unit hung, including shutting off the climate control (in the middle of winter on I-80). About 10 minutes later "Scheduled Maintenance" came up followed by Navigation SD Card Fault. While driving we ejected and reinserted the Nav card and everything came back. I truly bleed Ford blue, but I absolutely HATE Sync. I am hoping CES will have some news on the Alpine head unit for Ford. My guess is its $3k but by far it would be the biggest personal satisfaction upgrade.

FWIW, I have taken my truck into Ford with screen shots of the errors and the dealer techs can only verify I have the latest version. I have never got any help since the unit reboots and comes back.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, you guys have "My Touch" and your vehicles are '13 - '14 ??

cause I have a '12 with Sync and have never had a problem.

Just trying to find out which of the two systems.

rent

Reaction score
Sounds like a software bug that caused MFT/Sync to restart. It's Microsoft afterall. When in doubt, close all windows and reboot to ensure optimal performance.

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had problems with my 10, 13 and 14. I have ridden in friends trucks that are 11/12s and they have the same issue. All three of my trucks have the 801a package. My wife has had issues with her 13 Focus ST3 as well. I use the Bluetooth phone a lot, I use nav frequently. It does not fail constantly, just on the fringe of annoying yet not enough to invest days escalating to the dealer and Ford.

OP
OP
BKA

BKA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, you guys have "My Touch" and your vehicles are '13 - '14 ??

cause I have a '12 with Sync and have never had a problem.

Just trying to find out which of the two systems.

I have a '14 and it has the "My Ford Touch" Screen. When it went dead briefly, then came back up (reboot?) the screen displayed "SYNC" then displayed "performing scheduled maintenance. Have driven the truck six month/7,000+ miles with not an issues. The one thing I recently added was the OBDLink MX WiFi adapter to communicate with the Dash Command app on my new iPhone 6 Plus (cool app by the way). I had just plugged the OBDLink adapter in a few minutes before getting onto the freeway, wonder if this contributed to the reset somehow.........

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's all "normal" basically the crappy windows program crashes and then has to reset itself. All your settings should stay the same. Happened a lot when it was new and now every time I change the tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE