Sync disconnecting your iphone by itself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent some time dealing with this today.... I paired my iphone 4 with my sync when I took delivery, and it worked well the first day.

Next two days it either would not connect, or would say it was connected and not make/receive calls and/or play music (via itunes), or disconnect bluetooth audio by itself.

I called the Sync tech guys today and he said its an ongoing "windows vs. iPhone" issue, but they are working it. he suggested pulling the sync fuse (#2 fuse in passenger kick panel fusebox) for a bit. I did that while swapping out my headlamp bulbs (from tan OEM to Sylvania Ultra)... didn't work.

So, I erased my existing bluetooth on the sync (HoustonRider's iPhone) and turned my phone off. Rebooted phone and then re-paired, so far iTunes and the phone work flawlessly.

The Sync tech suggested that if you don't turn your phone off at night (or restart regularly), it could lock up and/or not function properly. My issue is that I normally leave my phone on overnight (not sure why)...

so if you're running into bluetooth connectivity problems, try these few things first. If you sign up for Syncmyride.com, if any updates become available, you will be notified.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not just the iPhone. My HTC Incredible does it now and then as well.

A10fxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My droid x was doing it until i changed the media selection to source and not Blue tooth, if i wasn't listening to the music on my phone.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Droid2 works fairly well for me with Sync.

Have had situation where BT dropped on incoming call (very annoying, required phone reboot).

Have had situation where phone would not stay paired for more than 30 seconds. Required reboot of phone. Turning bluetooth off and on on the phone was not adequate.

It has been connected hundreds of times at this point though (2500 miles).

Generally speaking, first suggestion would be to reboot any phone. Have seen similar behavior with my stereo bluetooth headset. Something gets screwed up with the phone's bluetooth stack, and from then on it's unstable. Reboot is the cure.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My iPuke 4 has done it already. Disconnected while driving home from the dealership and just didn't hook up to the phone earlier today. Restart the phone? yea. Thanks Microsoft you toolbags. Make something that works worth a shit and doesn't have to be rebooted all the damned time because of your bloated code and shit "features". IMO Ford screwed up by putting a Microsoft product in their vehicles.

~Ex Microsoft Employee who hates Apple too

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
My iPuke 4 has done it already. Disconnected while driving home from the dealership and just didn't hook up to the phone earlier today. Restart the phone? yea. Thanks Microsoft you toolbags. Make something that works worth a shit and doesn't have to be rebooted all the damned time because of your bloated code and shit "features". IMO Ford screwed up by putting a Microsoft product in their vehicles.

~Ex Microsoft Employee who hates Apple too

Full-time Linux user here since 1995. Second choice is Mac (use it for a laptop). And I personally think Microsoft Sync is the best infotainment system I've ever seen. When it came out, I shared your opinion, but no longer upon seeing it / using it. It certainly has its warts...for instance my biggest complaint at the moment is that it doesn't seem to understand that albums should be played in the order the artist intended (at least by default).

I've yet to see a Bluetooth system that works perfectly and I have six Android phones and an iPhone on my desk at the moment...and that's far from the entirety of the collection. (It's for work, I'm not a gadget addict.)

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update on my issue. My BT Audio Streaming completely stopped working. My phone would pair and phone functions would work but no BT audio for music sources. Could jump through all the hoops of deleting profiles, re-pairing, hard resetting the phone, etc. Nothing could bring it back (it used to work perfectly).

After reading a bunch of posts on the Sync forums and HoustonRiders experience...it sounded like the best solution that worked for most people was to pull the Sync fuse. It is located in the passenger side kick panel...Fuse #2 (blue).

Pulled it for about a minute or so, and replaced it.

Everything jumped back to life instantly. Phone paired, audio started playing. Have had no issues since.

Can't say for sure but I suspect this issue started when my son plugged his iPod into the USB port to charge it. Sounded like others had this issue when using the USB port too. Have not tried to duplicate the problem...just happy everythings working again.