Sync And Aftermarket Head Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueGhost

Reaction score
My 2012 Raptor has the base audio system, no Sony, no Nav. I'm planning to install an aftermarket head unit soon and upgrade the whole system. I want to go with something that supports iDatalink Maestro and Android Auto, most likely a Kenwood. I know the Maestro give me the option to keep or disable Sync.

Would I loose anything by disabling Sync? The new head unit would play music from a flash drive and connect to my phone. Do I need Sync to send a health report, how often is this used? Are there any other Sync functions I've missed?

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Health report in my mind is not too useful. Mine barely works on my '13 with sync system.

I'll tell you why I can't change mine.
I'll lose all temperature features. That's my main problem.
Another concern would be the loss of all steering wheel controls.

An aftermarket system would work for music to speakers but would mess up all standard connectivity.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BlueGhost

Reaction score
Take a look at the iDatalink Maestro, with a compatible head unit you retain steering wheel controls and temp controls. You also get the bonus features of track pack gauges and seeing the actual tire pressures via tpms.

I think the 2013-14 you may need a special dash kit to keep some of the MFT functions.

Any of the aftermarket head units I have in mind already include most of the features covered by Sync. The vehicle health report what the only thing I think I would lousy by disabling Sync.