Sub upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Searched around and found Birdmans write up on a new sub.

Can I just upgrade the sub in the Sony box? Anybody done this? I'd like better sound but not crazy about losing more space under seat. Any tips?
Thanks

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hmm not sure that i would bother. the enclosure is so small i dont think a better sub would even sound better in there. maybe find a sub enclosure like mtx makes that only takes up half of the rear underseat storage

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
you're really just going to be limited by the amp and size of the box so changing the sub alone might be a waste of time/money.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
duh yeah i forgot about the amp too. yeah u can put the best sub in the world in there and underpower it with a crap am and it will sound like poop. get a small aftermarker enclosure with a good sub and amp and u will be happy

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to loose much more space, not sure what quality 8" would fit in that Sony box. I have a flat 10" that is meant to go under a truck seat or behind the back seat, the same thing in an 8" might work. If you upgrade the sub you will need to upgrade the amp.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
just build a custom small box about the size of the stock one and put a quality 8" sub maybe? honestly anything in the higher end aftermarket will be better than the stock sub.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just build a custom small box about the size of the stock one and put a quality 8" sub maybe? honestly anything in the higher end aftermarket will be better than the stock sub.

That may be the best solution. A box big enough for a sundown 8" with the right amp will pump out some tight bass.
Does any one know if the front component speakers have an outboard passive crossover, also was wondering if the door speakers have an amp like the sub does or are they just powered off the deck.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No matter what you do it will still suck. Need a new amp then you can mod the box and put another sub in but it still sounds like crap. Just depends what you are happy with.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my speakers. Just bought some high quality component speakers and now I'm shopping for an amp. the speakers are 90w RMS and the tweeter is 50w RMS and if that deck only pushes 15W RMS per Chanel I will only be powering those speakers at about 10%.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my speakers. Just bought some high quality component speakers and now I'm shopping for an amp. the speakers are 90w RMS and the tweeter is 50w RMS and if that deck only pushes 15W RMS per Chanel I will only be powering those speakers at about 10%.

i believe the stock speakers are amped by an amp under the console. not sure how much power it puts out.