Stereo upgrade on a budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the stereo in my 12 Raptor to be poor quality sound.
Can anyone suggest a way to go to increase the sound quality, for a reasonable budget.
I have no desire to spend thousands and thousands of $$$$ on stuff, but if I can make it sound pretty good for less than say $1,000 out the door, here in Canada where we pay too much for stuff, I will likely upgrade it.
Just wonder where to start, thanks.

Banned
Reaction score
did you get the premium sony system?
if not id say a good cheap way is to upgrade the door speakers to something a little better. then down the road add a sub.

or add the sub first, and later down the road add the door speakers. dont gotta do it all at once!!

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Unbolt the sub. 3 or 4 on the sides then one through the middle. Flip it over and remove the many screws for the screen. and sub comes out. Take out the crap they put in the box. Put polyfill in there. Start with the corners and work in so its even. Don't make it too tights but decent. Reassemble.
It gives a better sound. The sub before would always sound hollow and couldn't hit the lows. Now it doesn't get that and can go lower. Its not the perfect fix but makes a significant difference. Plus Birdman created a thread on how to perfectly set up your sound system. Do that.
Polyfill can be bought at walmart in the craft/fabric area.

408RCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbolt the sub. 3 or 4 on the sides then one through the middle. Flip it over and remove the many screws for the screen. and sub comes out. Take out the crap they put in the box. Put polyfill in there. Start with the corners and work in so its even. Don't make it too tights but decent. Reassemble.
It gives a better sound. The sub before would always sound hollow and couldn't hit the lows. Now it doesn't get that and can go lower. Its not the perfect fix but makes a significant difference. Plus Birdman created a thread on how to perfectly set up your sound system. Do that.

link to the thread plz? :waytogo:

OP
OP
D

Drewa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you get the premium sony system?
if not id say a good cheap way is to upgrade the door speakers to something a little better. then down the road add a sub.

or add the sub first, and later down the road add the door speakers. dont gotta do it all at once!!

Yes I did, and its sure not premium in sound, just in price.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Thanks, I will do it this week. :)

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

If I do decide to swap speakers in the future, what is a good brand that will fit the stock size holes?

Akmike

Reaction score
Why would pay 3000 for Sony. Just get base line stereo. You can put a pretty nice sound system in any truck for 3000 grand. IMO

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Why would pay 3000 for Sony. Just get base line stereo. You can put a pretty nice sound system in any truck for 3000 grand. IMO

They upgraded Sony stereo is only one part of the $3000 Luxury Package. Also includes heated seats, adds power to pass seat and memory to the driver's seat and dual zone climate control as well as some other things.