Sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Bird, not arguing that it probably isn't but that is just what it say's on the box and I do know the difference in the two. I have played in a few bands in my day(looooong ago) and know what real sound is. Try a Marshall 100watt stack cranked(especially an older tube model) and you will think you have heard loud they can make your ears bleed.............

brink how come you always think i am arguing with you :roflsquared: i was just responding to your comment for the sake of more information.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for the input I am looking in to more in the direction that birdman had on his fj

so what are you looking to do? tear out the back seat and rock some serious subs or find something to fit under the seats?

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
So would simply upgrading the speakers and leaving the stock Sony sub/amp make much of a difference? Not complaining about it as is, it's better than the ******** Bose systems I've had in previous GM trucks. But if there's a way to make a significant improvement for not a ton of money or work, I'm down for it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
So would simply upgrading the speakers and leaving the stock Sony sub/amp make much of a difference? Not complaining about it as is, it's better than the ******** Bose systems I've had in previous GM trucks. But if there's a way to make a significant improvement for not a ton of money or work, I'm down for it.

since we have pillar tweeters and 6 x 8s in the door the highs aren't the issue. we begin to strain the woofers in our speakers when the bass gets turned up which may lead to some distortion. what i would do is leave the stock speakers and add some bass. use a separate amp to run the aftermarket sub-turn the bass down on the stock system-and turn the aftermarket sub/amp up to your liking. this will produce crisp highs and mids and you can compensate with some clean, tight bass with an aftermarket sub. this setup would produce a system loud enough to make your passengers/wife tell you to turn it down but if you want a true audiophile setup replacing the speakers and amp is a must.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
*i'm by no means a professional car audio guy but i have spent many hours with my own vehicles and friends' vehicles to know a thing or two about the basics and semi-advanced car audio world*

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll probably leave it as is though if the factory sub is the weak link, have always seen that type of work wind up being more wiring/PITA than I'd be interested in dealing with. Currently thinking I want to save my pennies for the giant LED lights that I have absolutely no business in buying. :)

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll probably leave it as is though if the factory sub is the weak link, have always seen that type of work wind up being more wiring/PITA than I'd be interested in dealing with. Currently thinking I want to save my pennies for the giant LED lights that I have absolutely no business in buying. :)

i'm with you on the giant LED lights...but really. a local audio shop could tap your speaker lines, run a power/ground/remote turn on in a morning and have you bumpin a custom sub box with a JL sub for about $800. i like when my eyeballs liquefy. i miss it.

autowerks racing

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
once my truck is out of its current abyss my stereo installer will be doing his thing. we are a dealer for pretty much every product but all my personal cars have hertz/audison

brinkwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brink how come you always think i am arguing with you :roflsquared: i was just responding to your comment for the sake of more information.

Sorry Bird, I'm an old fart and you kind of have to accuse me sometimes. I don't know alot about these new systems out nowadays(been out of the stereo buzz for awhile). So once in awhile you have to ignore us old folks ranting.lol