Sound Deadening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayneCobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I'm doing a full cage and new interior I've been looking at sound deadening material. I started out with "let's go with dynomat extreme" moved on to "fatmat rattle trap" after a friend told me about it. Canceled that after I found out that it's asphalt based not butyl based material. And now I'm in a toss up between hushmat and second skin audio, leaning towards second skin. Mainly because second skin's website is better.

Vehicle Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction, and Thermal Insulation. Call 800 679-8511. | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA.

Sound Dampening, Vibration Damping, Thermal Insulation for automotive applications - HUSHMAT.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Personally if I was to do it all over again I would spray lizard skin throughout the entire cab(lay it on thick), then Dynamat and then have the cage built.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use focal sound deadening. all the butyl rubber/foil are generally the same. the focal has an additional layer of foam. its an all in one application. it does come with a price though. supercabs take about 3 rolls and crewcabs take about 4 rolls. they retail for $480 a roll but if you are serious, pm me and i will get you a quote

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i use focal sound deadening. all the butyl rubber/foil are generally the same. the focal has an additional layer of foam. its an all in one application. it does come with a price though. supercabs take about 3 rolls and crewcabs take about 4 rolls. they retail for $480 a roll but if you are serious, pm me and i will get you a quote
My stang is getting done in the focal, everywhere, from head to toe, don't have to deal with the tar crap dynomat that I used a few years ago. IMG_20150421_132839.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My stang is getting done in the focal, everywhere, from head to toe, don't have to deal with the tar crap dynomat that I used a few years ago. View attachment 66367

ita a great product. you made an excellent choice. in canada its probably a bit more expensive?

Just put a couple on my build thread "SVC" section.

Another reason I was leaning towards SSA was because they do have foam layer that can be added.

the focal already has it so there is no need to add it later

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ita a great product. you made an excellent choice. in canada its probably a bit more expensive?

the focal already has it so there is no need to add it later
Not sure the actual "part" cost, but the company up here that is doing it is charging me $250 for the focal and $500 labour for just the headliner area and that doesn't include the new headliner, that's re and re only.
Saying that, we decided afterwards to do that area because the exhaust is so loud and I wanted as much "insulation" as possible when driving on the highway.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure the actual "part" cost, but the company up here that is doing it is charging me $250 for the focal and $500 labour for just the headliner area and that doesn't include the new headliner, that's re and re only.
Saying that, we decided afterwards to do that area because the exhaust is so loud and I wanted as much "insulation" as possible when driving on the highway.
sound like a little less than half a roll of material and 6 hours of labor. we usually charge $2500-3000 (supercab, crewcab) for a complete sound deadening job. removing the entire interior in our trucks and lining the whole thing takes a long time. usually a day and a half for a complete job.