School me on off road GPS systems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have heard of LeadNav when it was in development. I looks like it is for Apple only, any rumors for Android? Looks like you have to pay for it every year, is that right?

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Id be surprised for a suction cup mount to hold anything when off roading.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Id be surprised for a suction cup mount to hold anything when off roading.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Mine held just fine. Ram mount. I would angle it so the bottom was pushing against the top of the dash though.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leadnav is a one time buy. $19.99 I think. Its just like any other app, they give you free update periodically. I think they might be working on coming out with an android version. I have not used all the features while off road, but you can set it up to call out pace notes to you. It helps when you know there is a wash out or danger up ahead.

The suction cups and magnet held for 10 days in baja. I was skeptical too, but they worked flawlessly. It never moved from its original place in my previous picture.

I have the Mob X mount. https://mobarmor.com/shop/mob-grip-x/

Gaiagps sucks. Does it work, yes. Is it user friendly and give you detailed maps, hell no.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Using a ipad as a gps and having it on your dash is the way to go. You can use the camera, itunes, gps app, watch movies, and if you have internet, check forums and status reports during a race. It essentially puts a computer on your dash.

OP
OP
Aussiesvt

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

Think I'll go for iPad and ram mount for the moment then I'll move to Lowrance when the fun fund replenishes

OP
OP
Aussiesvt

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm tunning leadnav app and it's super easy to use.

Also just bought a simple RAM mount for it.
Couldn't spend $$$ on a lowrance.

ryFPMVL.png

tmqXZ1d.png

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm tunning leadnav app and it's super easy to use.

Also just bought a simple RAM mount for it.
Couldn't spend $$$ on a lowrance.

ryFPMVL.png

tmqXZ1d.png

This is the route I went. Used my iPad and mob armor mount on the Lost coast run and it held great. iPad was a little too big and obstructed too much of my view for high speed driving so I bought an iPad mini and it offers much better road visibility. Interested in hearing how leadnav works for you this weekend. I've read some positive reviews on it and it seems to have some great features like audible hazard and marker alerts. I've been using Motionx, but think I'd be happier using leadnav or Gaia gps.

SilverBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a android tablet with backcountry navigator and you can import motion x files from anyone with an iPad. The only bad thing is you need to download any map files before you head out because if you don't have Internet the maps won't load unless you downloaded them beforehand.
Here is how my tablet is mounted.

Attachments

• 20150902_161002.jpg
    20150902_161002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 20150902_161006.jpg
    20150902_161006.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 20150902_161014.jpg
    20150902_161014.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 149