Reprogramming MFT Sony Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I do not use the correct terminology but I went ahead and had a system installed in my Raptor using a company in Richmond, VA that another user on here recommended to me.

They replaced speakers, replaced factory sub, added dynamat (or something similar), added amp, and all of the other pieces and parts that Noah recommends everyday to everyone who asks. Once I got the truck back it sounded a hundred times better than factory but for the 4K I spent it did not quite make me happy as I felt I should of been.

BTW - this is not a rant against Extreme Audio - they have been awesome and I would recommend them to anyone on the east coast who can't get out to Noah.

So I went back down the road and we talked about options...I decided to install second sub with a connection and switch so I could swap the factory location out. Basically when I need the space in the back I can hit the switch, pull wires out of spring terminals and put the 13" sub in the garage and still have the smaller sub in the factory location. This was because my wife would not give her stamp of approval unless there was a way to easily move the big sub out of the truck when we go camping (it is the dogs spot).

This again made the system sound much much better but not quite perfect. We all know that there is no head unit replacement option if we have the package with the heated seats so we went back to the drawing board. There was always an option to bypass the factory amp but that would require a separate volume control knob put somewhere and the steering wheel volume control and the head unit knob would no longer work. I just about pulled the trigger on that option but....

A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by Extreme and was told that there may be a way to get head unit reprogrammed to turn off the sony option in the software. As it was explained this same head unit is used in other F150's that do not have the Sony system and it is just a software thing.

Good news - they found a company in NY that said they could make this happen. I dropped off truck a week ago and the head unit was shipped to them. Extreme received unit back yesterday and the guys in NY said that they were able to modify it with no issues. At this point there is some re-wiring happening and I should be able to pick up truck next weekend. It will be done earlier but it is about a 2 hour drive and I will be in Richmond next weekend anyway for the Spring Cup race so I will pick it up then.

If anyone is interested in how everything turns out I will keep you posted here. Pretty excited to eliminate the factory amp and still keep the factory controls (other than bass knob).

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in. Dont know if this applies to a 2011 SYNC system, but Im curious how this comes out. Are they converting the OEM head unit to have RCA pre amp output jacks? I had heard the volume control was done digitally through the amp. Keep up posted.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you do not have this problem. 2012 and under, can change radios with no issues. 2013/2014 with the nav, you can not change radios. but it appears someone got into the software. this will be interesting to see the results.

OP
OP
Bigeffr

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radio came back and I cannot describe how much better everything sounds. The only issue (and there is a fix) is that there is another part that will need to have to be flashed in order to get the voice back. The Sync stuff works just fine you just do not get the voice reminders and stuff like that.

I will have to drop off truck for a couple weeks to get the other part flashed. I was incorrect - the company is in Colorado not in NY as I first thought.

Zach

Reaction score
Well that's very exciting. The only thing holding me back from stereo modifications is the sync interface.

So what happens if Ford comes out with a Sync software update? I'm guessing you probably just don't install it.

Could you list all the equipment you had Extreme install in the truck?

I'm also curious where the audio signal is being tapped from, as it sounds like from what you described the Sony amp is taken out of the picture?

Please let us know how the voice fix turns out.

Kngranch

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ideas what company extreme audio is working with to have the factory stereo reprogrammed?

OP
OP
Bigeffr

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any ideas what company extreme audio is working with to have the factory stereo reprogrammed?

I was not told the company's name who did the reprogramming.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

It will probably be later this summer when I do the last part of the upgrade - have to be able to go without truck for 2-3 weeks. Yes Sony amp is bypassed all together.

I will list equipment in a couple days...

gadgetboyj

Reaction score
I'm so glad I happened across your post, I have a headunit out of a 2012 Ford Fusion that needs to be reflashed so it can be used in another vehicle that does not have Sony audio. I realize this is a different unit completely than what you (OP) has, but I figure there's a decent chance the company Extreme Audio sent your headunit to in Colorado could also potentially reflash my unit as well. I gave Extreme Audio a call and spoke with someone and they said they will email me when they ask the person familiar about the company they sent your headunit off to. I'll update here with any information I get, as I get it.

Reaction score
Was there every any progress on this? I am curious as to what is all involved with this and if this might be an option to those of us with the Heated Seat Package going forward? I like the head unit but turning off the Sony options could open up some opportunities for upgrades.

OP
OP
Bigeffr

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there every any progress on this? I am curious as to what is all involved with this and if this might be an option to those of us with the Heated Seat Package going forward? I like the head unit but turning off the Sony options could open up some opportunities for upgrades.

I have had this done for a while now and am still very pleased. I know I said I would do the final update but that may not happen until September. I also have not put the audio system details on my build page - it is on my to do list still. Been a very busy summer.