Reliable OBDII reader for iOS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently tried a OBDii reader and the information available was awesome. I'm thinking of installing an iPad Mini in my truck for this purpose. Does anyone use a wifi version of these readers that is reliable and they like? iOS doesn't like Bluetooth ODB readers, so I'm limited to wifi versions. I tried a Vgate version I for from Cravenspeed and for some reason the iPad froze after a minute of working fine. Not sure if it was the app (Dashcommand), the iPad or the reader.

Anyone else doing this?

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the cheapy ELM 327 from amazon (think I paid $20) and it works fine with dashcommand on ios.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been using the cheapy ELM 327 from amazon (think I paid $20) and it works fine with dashcommand on ios.

I was looking at those and am tempted to try one. There's a $50 version with an off/on button I'm also looking at.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never mind. Screw Apple. This whole business of not supporting Bluetooth is dumb. I'm not going to support that anymore. I'm going to use a Nexus 7 with an OBDLink Bluetooth adapter that supports automatic power down and has excellent reviews. Downloaded the DashCommand app on my Nexus and it looks and works great.

I ordered a Proclip mount and holder, so I'll post pics when it's all installed and working.

D

Deleted member 12951

Kinda sucks to hear that the Wi-Fi for the iPhone didn't work out. But kinda glad you tested it out before I purchased it. :)

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kinda sucks to hear that the Wi-Fi for the iPhone didn't work out. But kinda glad you tested it out before I purchased it. :)

LOL! Yeah, Cravenspeed was very accommodating in answering a question via email and accepting a return. Definitely buying something else from them again. I went with the OBDLink MX this time. $100 on amazon. I want something that will work good out of the box, and this one had a ton of positive reviews. Gets here today, so we'll see how it works out with the Nexus.

One Black SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZBoater.... Let us know how the nexus7 and the obd2 reader work together with the dashcommand app.... I'm anxious to leap forward with this and would also use the proclip mounts...... Pictures of the final install would be the shizzle.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ZBoater.... Let us know how the nexus7 and the obd2 reader work together with the dashcommand app.... I'm anxious to leap forward with this and would also use the proclip mounts...... Pictures of the final install would be the shizzle.

Works awesome. Very reliable.

umyga2u2.jpg

vy3ymesa.jpg

apeburuj.jpg

e8abe3a8.jpg

Last edited: