Question about sync and iPhone 4S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluoval1118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I am curious to see if anyone has the iPhone 4S and see how it works with the factory Sync system. I know with my droid I could stream music and the Sync would read my text messages to me. I ordered my phone a couple weeks ago and I still wont be able to pick up the truck for a couple more weeks. I was just looking for input from anyone that already has experience with this combo. Thanks in advance.

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apple working with other standards and products. :supergay:

I had a 4 with my sync systems and it worked for the most part. Not sure if they ever got text reading working. They(Apple) were finally able to get bluetooth streaming working. All the issues I had though landed solely on Apple.

The Droid has been a better pairing than the Apple, but overall either was fine.

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My I-Phone 4s works great as long as it picks up the USB port. I've played music both through USB and Blue tooth. It is strange the way it sometimes identifies it as USB and most of the time only as a bluetooth. I need to read the manual again and screw with it more.

OP
OP
Bluoval1118

Bluoval1118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when I got the truck, one of the Sync reps that gives tutorials told me that the iPhone wouldn't read texts but I didn't know if the new phone do it. It worked fine with my droid but I absolutely hate that phone. well thanks for the feedback. I guess I will wait until my phone gets here and until I pick the truck up in a couple weeks.

jutrast

Reaction score
I have the 4s and a 2010 raptor. The phone and music both work well through Bluetooth and I have no complaints.

I've had a few issues listening to voicemail and I've had a few issues with Siri.

It doesn't read texts for me, but I haven't updated sync either.

Toby

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The iPhone 4S will NOT communicate your text messages through SYNC. This is not a hardware limitation so much as a software limitation from Apple. Bluetooth uses different profiles to communicate with various devices. The SYNC text messaging feature relies on the Bluetooth MAP profile which Apple has chose not to enable even though the the Bluetooth chipsets used in iPhones have been capable of supporting the profile for some time. In fact, the iPhone 4S supports the most recent version of Bluetooth available, but the MAP profile is still not enabled.

All other SYNC features work fine, however, with the iPhone 4S.

Cubdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Iphone 4 would work well with SYNC but my 4S doesn not work well at all. It freezes up and the person on the other end can't hear you and it will not allow you to switch to iphone or speaker. I then have to reboot it in order to use the phone again.

Anyone else having this problem?

Raptor108

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My iPhone 4S call handling is working perfectly with Sync in my 2011. I use the Navigon by Garmin app for navigation, and the "turn by turn" feeds through Bluetooth well.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
iPhone 4s and 2010 Raptor. Bluetooth and USB work great. If you play over the USB (Dock Connector) you get your song info on the display screen, even through Pandora. The bad thing is that you cannot navigate your music from your phone while it's on USB mode. I use itunes match and I cannot access what is in the cloud while its hooked up through USB. As for Texts, Siri connects through voicemail and it plays over the speakers.