Ported 8" vs sealed 10" sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csirnak

Reaction score
Looking at grabbing a sub today. My shop that gives me deals only deals with JL but I'm fine with that. I don't want anything that will use up all the storage under the seat, so a little bigger than the factory sub is fine. I won't be in any competitions or anything, but I listen to a lot of electronic and hip hop music. Want better and more bass! I'd be running a JL 500.1 amp.

I'm looking at:

-the single 8" JL Microsub. All reviews say this thing is great, even though its so small. Apparently some very clever engineering has been done to this box.

-A sealed low profile box with a 10" TW3. Not a premade box by JL, but it will fit under the rear passenger seat and I'm guessing it should pound. Only about .35 cubic feet.

Which is the preferred sub here? I've read quite a few microsub reviews and many reviewers say it sounds like a 10 or 2 10s in a sealed box, but I have a hard time believing it.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the dual coil short throw JL 10" in my Raptor in a box that is *just* bigger than stock box.

It sounds great, by running dual coil it's dropped to 2 ohms. I pair that with some ZR series 8" mid subs in the rear scab doors (that took some work).

search ducatisps stereo and you'll find my writeup

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends on your truck. that will detemine what fits.

and you will be correct in not believing that the microsub puts out dual 10 output. while the microsub is a great little box, you cant compare it to a 10" woofer. it will definitely give you more output than the oem though.

OP
OP
C

csirnak

Reaction score
Well I ended up with a jl 8" single stealthbox run by a jl xd 600 watts mono amp.

I ALMOST got the stealthbox, but the micro sub took up much less room.

All said and done, people weren't exaggerating on critchfield. That microsub is one loud and clear sub. It does not sound like an 8.

Thanks guys!