Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lane_change

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to upgrade the factory Sony (non-NAV) head unit in my 2012 Raptor and install the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX.

What I bought was:

Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX
PAC MS-FRD1 (Interface w/ SYNC Retention)
PAC SWI-RC (Steering Wheel Control)
Metra 95-5820SS (Mounting Kit)

I have the head unit installed, but I was having some issues with the SYNC system working properly. When my SYNC was active (bluetooth), I would lose ACC power to the head unit. I read that I needed to connect the Mute wire on the back of the head unit to the outer brown wire mute loop. Not sure if that is correct or not to fix this issue (haven't tried yet).

Also, the PAC LCD display? Is that necessary? What does it do and where do you mount that ugly thing? Also, where do you all mount or install the Apple USB connection? I did not buy a mount kit for that yet, so I simply removed the factory SYNC USB and slid my Apple lightning cable through the empty hole and have it connected behind the dash into the USB output for the Pioneer unit. I need to find a better solution that gives me USB access for both and looks aesthetically pleasing.

Final question is the Apple Car Play. Since my sync bluetooth was allowing my phone to speak through the factory mic and speakers I did not connect the external mic to the back of the head unit, but when I tried to use the Apple CarPlay text application, I cannot get any response from speaking when pressing the Siri button on the screen...it's just blank. Do I need to install the external mic as well?

OP
OP
lane_change

lane_change

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple other issues I have noticed...

1. Rear speakers and sub do not work. Not sure why.
2. DVD has the E-brake trigger wire connected, so I need to figure out where that is and ground it out.
3. Tried to cut and the brown loop, outer wire and tied into the Mute wire on the head unit, still cuts off ACC when my phone rings which is annoying as hell.
4. Cigarette lighter does not work anymore, but I know it's plugged in. The 12v accessory plug also no longer works. Weird.
5. Airbag light is now illuminated, no idea how that has anything to do with this installation. More weird.
6. Figured out I have to install the external mic for the Apple CarPlay to work, Sync can use the factory mic, Apple cannot. Kind of dumb if you ask me.
7. Can't figure out how to zoom out the navigation map. If I pinch to zoom, I get the destination target symbol and it allows me to zoom, but if I'm just looking at the little arrow, the zoom is really tight in and there is no +/- to push to zoom out during normal driving. Seems dumb.
8. If I speed, the voice prompt comes on and informs me that I am speeding....I know I am speeding, I can't have my car turning the music off to chastise me for speeding, so I need to figure out how to shut that feature off as well.

May have to drop this off at a shop and let them sort through this mess. I'm running out of patience.